1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being bi/gay with foreign, misguided parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by micstar615, Dec 21, 2012.

1. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are Indian and they come from a society where homosexuality is looked down upon. Those values are rooted into then by their ancestors. I was born and raised in Canada and I have different ideals, and I happen to be bi. It's hard living in a society where homosexuity is misunderstood (we all know that feeling) I was just wondering if you guys are in similar situations with foreign family/relatives who misunderstand homosexuality as a lifestyle choice (it's not a choice but it is a lifestyle) or a form of unnatural lust. How do you cope with that? I love my family but their cultural ideals are so ignorant and close minded.

2. curlycats

my parents are 100% American, but African Americans do have their own culture and it is completely interwoven with religion and is extremely unaccepting of homosexuality. so unaccepting, that i very well may never come out of the closet to my family unless i absolutely cannot avoid it. on top of cultural issues, my mom is a well-known minister in the community, so it would bring immense shame on her not only from our family if people knew i'm pansexual....

"meh", is what i think about all that. i'm very glad there's a lot of physical distance between me and my family.