1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Yamato, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Yamato

I need help to come out to my two closest friends. At first I didn't think that I would come out till I was 18 but I feel that I need to come out soon. This is probably because one of my best friends is also FtM and has just tarted transtioning and I can see how much happier he is.
    One of the people I want to come out to is FtM as I have already mentioned. The other is very open minded and supportive. I know that most of my close friends are really accepting of this kind of thing so I am not worried about that.
    I have no idea how to bring up the fact that I could be trans with them. I find talking to people about personal things such as this very hard because I have very low confidence. I don't know what to say and I'm worried about how they will react.
    Any advice on how to go about coming out to them would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Yamato

Can anyone help please?

3. Ianthe

I think your best bet is to start with your FTM friend, and talk to him alone. For most people, it's easiest to start with one person. Just tell him you've been questioning your gender, and you want to talk to him about it.

If you can't bring yourself to broach the subject in person, start with a text message or email, or something like that. You don't need a reason to talk about it with him, beyond it being something you know he has experience with.

Then you will have his support when you go to tell your other friend.

4. Yamato

Thanks
    I was thinking it was probably best to tell them one at a time rather than together.
    I think I would rather talk to them in person than through email or text