1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

names, small steps with mom coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Deaf Not Blind, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Deaf Not Blind

well for 2 days we discussed lightly my name. i never liked it as a kid. so she brought it up and said she is fine calling me Kat, and if i just start using it and getting legal id with it, it soon becomes a legal name.

I asked and yup she woulda named me David, IF I had been born a boy. I said what if I prefer it now, she replied she didn't care I can always legally change it, as many girls have boy names.

Interesting calm discussion, and then talk about what candy to make. :slight_smile:

Next step...what?

2. Deaf Not Blind

Today I will wear my nicest men's slacks, belt, socks, and new shoes with a sweater to church. That will be step 2.

3. Night Rain

Your mom is coming out?:eek: OK, just kidding. For your next step, just relax and be yourself. :slight_smile: You don't need to follow any steps.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds awesome that your mom is fine with it. David's not even an androgynous name; that's full-on dudely. I'm glad she thought nothing of it and would be fine with your using it.

5. Jim

Jim

Ugh you're so lucky your mum was ok with it. My mum doesn't want me to have a male name :C

6. wandering i

I'm really happy to hear things are so comfortable between you and your mom!

7. Deaf Not Blind

Hahaha! Dude, you so asking for it! You are a funny guy! I am a list kinda person...I like to see things laid out. So in my mind, I must see a logical series of events that will lead to an eventual conclusion or I feel lost.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 06:46 PM ----------

I know! Mom saying "lots of girls have men's names"...that kinda made me stare at her. David? She was going to name me that if I was born a boy...I asked why she didn't name me that and she said well you are not a boy! Coulda seen that one coming. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yeah, so anytime I want to start going by ANY name...she don't care! To me, that is a kinda large step.

But today I dressed in all fine male attire, and she said my new shoes are nice. They are clearly obviously mens! They are black slip on loafer type, cuz I hate shoe strings untying...Calvin Klein...nobody at church said a thing. I never got talked to much anyways I think cuz I am single and weird, but I just got a smile from choir pastor.

I keep waiting for things to get bad like every Queer experiences...but so far I have lost extremely little, they were not true friends anyways, and I have only gained more joy for being accepted by straights as a Transguy Christian at school. If I luck out and actually can transition and retain all I had before, I am really going to be confused. Love? Maybe I just am surrounded by REAL Christ-followers who try to love one another? I know that is what I do.

Wow, next step is on Christmas eve...when I tell mom SolarCat was born a boy.

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 06:46 PM ----------

Move to USA and my mom can adopt you...and we can be brothers! What shall I call ya?

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2012 at 06:48 PM ----------

I have always considered her more a sister, and my grandparents my true parents. Gotta say though, maybe she does have a special love in there for me?

#7 Deaf Not Blind, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  8. Deaf Not Blind

i asked mom again about my name as she said kathy again, and she said it is hard to say Kat but she will try.
    And AGAIN I said well maybe I want to change it legally to David as I kinda like it...and she smiles and again said that is just fine with that, and that the man next door has last name DAVIS which is similar. So i said i am glad 2 good men are here when i am not, as I want her safe when I'm at school.
    Guys I really feel good about this!

9. Greendalehumans

That's awesome!

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Woah. I've heard of my given name going both ways, though more commonly male (from what I understand, there was an actress with the same given name that I have around when I was born, though she used the latter half of the name as a nick name, I use the relatively gender-neutral former half for a nickname). I've never heard of David as a name for a girl. Christopher, Kelly, Jamie, Sam, Jan, even Sue I've seen/heard of either way. (a male attorney where I work has the first name Jan)

11. Deaf Not Blind

yup. It is something alright.

Oh, yeah I heard of Sue...a Boy Named Sue...I like to sing it!
    "my name is Sue, how do you do?"
    hehehe!

Anybody not know Johnny Cash? Well, I am the man in black! Puh!

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People actually call me that when I wear a black dress shirt to work. Doesn't matter that I usually wear a rather vivid tie when everything else I'm wearing is black. I only wear the black dress shirt when I am wearing black pants. That may change when I finally get around to making my kilt out of The Rlyeh Sett...

13. wandering i

I'm so happy for you, DnB. I hope everything keeps going smoothly :')

14. Deaf Not Blind

:grin: thanks! I am happy I asked mom too. It didn't destroy anything!

Mom is at dialysys now, likely sick when gets back so I won't say anything more tonight. But tomorrow test a bit more. I got about a month here.

Anybody got ideas how to not fully come out but get mom to call me her son? :grin: Gee I hate female pronouns and being introduced as a daughter...but until my body is male, i will not expect it. Honesly, being the bigot i am, I am positive I would refuse to call a person another gender if asked if i were cis-gendered. Really...I would refuse them in my gender bathroom and no way a chick getting into my frat...i can see me that way..which is why i don't get too upset or forceful to others. Im really just a hypocrite at heart...if God didn't teach me to love i would be stuck up too.