1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HeyBeard, Dec 23, 2012.

1. HeyBeard

Hello again everyone :slight_smile: You may remember me for my thread about my crush. Things are going great, and I lost interest in him in that kinda way. But now I have a new "problem" that I need a bit of advice on.

So I'm using this site where you meet people by ways of admiring them and stuff like that. I found this guy on there who had a lot of common interests with me and he was very good looking. So I messaged him and complimented him on his looks and we started talking about some of the things that we liked. We have now been chatting back and forth on the site for four or five days and I decided to ask him if he would accept my number If I were to offer it to him. I haven't gotten a reply yet, but I was wondering if maybe this was kind of a little soon to try and give him my number. By the way, we live really close, only an hour away from each other. I was thinking that if he accepts my number and if we talk a bit more, then maybe I should ask if he wants to have dinner or something in the near future.

The problem is though, is that on his profile, he says that he is not on the site to hook up or meet up with people. Also, he is very self-conscious when he is talking to other guys, I know because he told me haha. I feel like even if he actually did like me, he wouldn't be able to say it. Therefore; I am trying to pull all of the moves. I was just wondering if all of this sounds okay for a guy that I met over the internet. He is a great guy, I am 18, he is 22 (kind of a jump that I hope doesn't bother him) and we both have a lot in common. We have talked about a bunch of stuff and even got a bit personal, to the point that I found out that we still both have our viginities. I really don't want to come off as weird to him because I really like him even though I have yet to meet the guy.

Any advice would be fantastic, thanks again guys! (&&&)

2. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like the kind of guy where you need a balance of you taking the initiative (since he seemingly won't), but giving him space. Shy people usually intensely desire companionship, but at the same time have grown used to lots of solitude and don't really want to sacrifice that either.

From the sounds of it, you didn't do anything too pushy, you didn't say "hey lets meet tommorow", just asking for his number is fair. I would leave making face to face contact a little longer, and then ask him if he wants to hang out somewhere (do not use the word date the first time). That way there is no pressure, it's just you two meeting to have fun. For the first while just alternate between hanging out at each others places or some public place you like (i.e mall). If that goes well, I'd then consider moving things up a notch and actually asking him out.

3. HeyBeard

Thanks 4All, that sounds great :slight_smile: We'll see what happens. Any other advice would be sweet :slight_smile:

4. HeyBeard

Hello everyone, it's been w hile since I've posted, so i would like yo update you on my status. I have now been talking to this guy for almost a month haha, and I was wondering if It may still be too soon to ask him to grab a meal with me...nothing serious, just something where we could meet each other for the first time. Tomorrow is his birthday and I am not sure if I should ask him then in case he takes it the wrong way and maybe end up feeling creeped out, which I don't want. Like I said, we have a lot in common and have very similar personalities. He is gay and I am out to him, so that's out of the way.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :slight_smile:

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it is too soon to ask him to hangout and get something to eat. You've already been talking to him for about a month now. I would say that is plenty of time. However I don't think I would do it on his birthday. That is kind of odd since you don't really know him like that yet to be taking him out on his birthday. But I would definitely start to get the ball rolling as far as meeting him goes if you fee like there might be something there, either just for friendship or possibly more.