1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone for Christmas...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LEZmis4, Dec 23, 2012.

1. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Anyone else spending the holidays alone?

I don't know if this will make any sense, but...
    I'm in this weird place...somewhat relieved I don't have to do presents and holiday music and pretend happiness with everyone around me. But, I've never been alone on a holiday before; this is weird. My grandmother is in the hospital; my brother is with his girlfriend's family...so we had our "Christmas" yesterday. That means, tomorrow...I'm on my own. Christmas day I'm supposed to go see Les Mis with my mom (yeah!!!), but that's the end of that. It's weird...and it actually bothers me more than I thought it would. Usually Christmas Eve is a HUGE day for our family, and Christmas Day is spent with my immediate family...so tomorrow is going to be ultra strange for me to be alone at home.

What do you do when you're alone on a holiday?

2. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Listen to music, play videogames, post in every thread on EC, text random people, make mediocre tasting food... I'm alone a lot, lol. Most of the time by choice, though- so don't be sad for me. x)

3. Oregontinker

I feel sorry for myself for a bit then I get off my ass and find something to do that helps someone else. It usually revolves around helping out at the local soup kitchen, it makes me realize how good I have it.

4. Ticklish Fish

um, maybe go visit your grandmother in hospital?

or just watch something marathon? lol

5. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm going to go see her on Christmas day.

And, that's a good idea...I'm sure there will be some marathon of something on TV. :slight_smile: Law and Order is usually a safe bet...

6. introvert

introvert Guest

Yeah, i'm alone too. That's usually the case for every holiday, including birthdays.

7. Hexagon

I play videogames and eat if I remember

8. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you did already have a Christmas, so there's that at least. Sometimes the calendar date is less important than the fact that you celebrated at some point.

Otherwise, watch funny videos. Chat with people online. Call family during the day and wish them a merry christmas/happy holidays/etc. (assuming that that won't make you feel more awkward). Make a blog post/thread about seeing Les Mis (I wish I could see it tomorrow!).

9. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :slight_smile: Thank you. This is helpful. I will DEFINITELY be talking about Les Mis here tomorrow! I'm REALLY excited!

10. wandering i

This is my first year truly alone. When I was overseas, my mom and i video called and watched the movie we watch every year, so I felt like we really did celebrate then. In some ways I feel bad about this situation. But if given the opportunity to go home, I don't think I would have. I want things to be like they were when I was younger and christmas was such a happy time of gifts and family. Even if I went home, it wouldn't really be like that anymore.

Wishing the best to all you others who are alone. I hope resting up and doing whatever you feel like is good.

11. MixedNutz

This is only the second year I've ever done anything for Christmas. Always spent it alone due to not celebrating.

I always rented movies, made drinks and had a great time by myself.