1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wandering i, Dec 23, 2012.

1. wandering i

Appearance wise, I am feeling more confident about accurately representing my gender, or at least passing in public some of the time. In recent months I've been doing what I can to gradually change the register of my voice, as well as speaking habits, emphasis on words, volume, everything. But it's just so difficult. Even if I can change my voice, it comes out too quiet, or doesn't sound natural. I can't convey my intentions properly, but if I try to speak more like myself, I definitely can't pass.

It's just hard because I am a friendly and warm person by nature, I like to crack jokes and make people smile. But I have to restrict how much I talk and how I talk, and I know the chance of passing once I open my mouth is overall pretty slim. I have been a shut in for months and have mostly stopped talking. But when I go out I think about it a lot, I record my voice before and listen to it played back to see what I can do. I listen to other people talking all the time and try to learn. I think maybe I just don't naturally have what it takes to sound any good.

I think about starting hormones for my voice more than any other reason, but a commitment that big is intimidating and kind of worrisome.
    Anyway, thank you for reading about my troubles.
    -wandering

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What gender are you trying to pass as? It's fairly easy to make your voice higher than natural with a little training, but to deepen it seems pretty hard.

3. wandering i

I'm sorry but I'm not really comfortable 'coming out' with it, even in a safe place like this. My voice has always just been at an extreme on one end and trying to change it is proving very hard. It's affecting my ability to talk to anyone or feel happy around others.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, it's only too bad you don't feel like saying because I can't really help you. :S No pressure intended, though. Good luck in independent effort. We're here for you.

In the off chance you're trying to pass as female, there is a technique used for increasing vocal range for singing that helps to raise the pitch of your voice. In the audio series I used, the guy calls it "zipping up" your vocal chords. It takes quite a bit of practice and sounds absolutely absurd while you're doing it at first XD. The one that finally clicked for me was doing 4-note octave scales* and saying "nay" on each note in a sort of nasal voice. After enough practice with loosening your facial muscles and doing "nay" scales, I was able to speak and sing much higher without cracking.

*If you don't know what I'm talking about here, it's basically the "do re mi" song from the Sound of Music, but skipping every other syllable.

And totally unrelated, but Journey is an awesome game. Another fan here. :grin:

#4 Argentwing, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. wandering i

Thanks! I'm really happy it's getting better known and other people love it like I do. And thanks for your understanding.

6. SashaS

SashaS Guest

How extreme?
    As the poster above said its much easier going from low to high then high to low. But in the end I'm afraid that voice seems like a biological thing so hormones may be the only way to alter your voice if it's "extremely" deep/high.

#6 SashaS, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if his/her only "closet" feature is transgender, orientation may not have much to do with it.

8. wandering i

I'm fine with people knowing my orientation because I am comfortable with it. Gender, not so much. Thank you again, RSwordsman. And thank you Sasha.