1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom is keeping me in the closet. :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stridenttube, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Sorry if I've been posting to much. But this is really annoying the shit out of me. I'm at the point where I want to tell my dad and sister and come out on Facebook, but my mom keeps insisting that I not tell them. She says that ill be in some huge trouble if I do and she'll make sure I regret it. I can't reason with her and its really pissing me off. She says I should wait till my dad is less stressed, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad about had a heart attack when he found out my facebook profile said interested in men. All I did was adjust my privacy settings to where he nor any of my family on HIS side could see it. They are very conservative...to say the least.... I've even had problems with my sister deleting me off facebook because my profile said that.

I understand your frustration because my family hasn't been very accepting either. All you can do is, as far as facebook goes, adjust your privacy settings. Maybe she's afraid your dad and brother will react very badly to it. If that's the case she might be right in telling you to hold off for now, but I don't know your family. I would just try and ask her why she wants you to keep it from them and see what she says. She could have good reasoning behind it?

3. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I feel you need to be yourself and let the world know. You can't control how they will react, but the solution isn't to just let them control how you act. In the long run it will hurt you more inside to not be yourself than what your mom is hypothetically threatening to do.

4. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

I feel you need to be yourself and let the world know. You can't control how they will react, but the solution isn't to just let them control how you act. In the long run it will hurt you more inside to not be yourself than what your mom is hypothetically threatening to do.

5. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Honestly, I would tell your dad and sister anyway if that's really what you want to do. Is there a specific reason she doesn't want you to tell them or is it just because your dad is stressed?

6. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

She says its because she doesn't know how my dad will take it. I'm thinking "of course he won't take it well, what parent ever does?" I'm just so tired of hiding this from everyone.

7. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured that what's it was. Honestly, I think your mom is being a little selfish. She's probably afraid that she will take some of the heat from your dad because of it. But she should accept and support you regardless.

8. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I agree! It is selfish of your mom to make you keep it a secret. I would just tell your dad and sister, but maybe wait until after Christmas (if you're Christian).