1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dph414, Dec 23, 2012.

1. dph414

dph414 Guest

My name is Dillon. I am 18 years old and I live in southwestern Ohio, near Dayton. I grew up with a great family who I know have always loved me very much. I have two younger siblings, a sister (15), and a brother (12). My family is full of Christians, and my parents and siblings regularly attend a Nazarene church, where being gay is unacceptable. I also attended and graduated from a Christian high school, where it was taught that homosexuality is a sin. I am now in college, and I no longer attend church with my family (they gave me the option when I turned 18).
    I think I first realized I was attracted to guys when I was in 6th or 7th grade. It wasn't till a few years ago, and especially after I left the church, that I began to fully accept it. I knew I COULDN'T tell anyone, because I was at a christian school.
    At the moment, no one that I know knows that I am gay. I am terrified of what my family, especially my parents, will say. I have sort of made it my "new year's resolution" to come out to someone that I know.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone who is nervous and shy like me, and is gay in a christian family. I have thought about coming out to my sister first, because she seems like she would understand the most, although she could tell my parents. Any suggestions?

2. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the safest route is to come out to someone who is in no way connected to your family to completely avoid the risk of it getting back to them. Maybe a really close female friend? (Sort of analogous to telling your sister) Females are typically much more understanding... Just make sure its someone you really trust, because the last thing you want is them go out and blab it to everyone (which is what happened to me).

3. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Are you going to a Christian Colledge? Maybe once you make some friends at colledge, then you can tell them if they are not christian/conservative, and set up a support system. Then I would recommend telling a sibling first. Even though they are younger they are much closer to your age then your parents (I hope) so they will probably understand you better.

P.S. I have the same New Years Resolution.

4. dph414

dph414 Guest

I'm not attending a Christian college. The people at my school seem to be MUCH more understanding than the people at my high school. I don't really have any close friends at college that I can talk about such things with.

5. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well at least they seem to be more understanding. That is definitely a good start. Does your school have a gay-straight alliance or anything of the sort?

6. dph414

dph414 Guest

I have seen the gay-straight alliance listed in brocures about the school and on the website, but there aren't any details about it. I think I should focus on telling someone before going there. My dad works at the college and he may find out about it. Thanks for the advice, by the way.

7. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm sure they'd respect your privacy...

8. dph414

dph414 Guest

you're right. I just have to build up my confidence a little. I've always been a shy person. I even went to see a psychiatrist for it when I was younger. I think coming out to someone would really help me.

9. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it would definitely be a load off of your chest for sure. if you don't have any close friends, i suppose your sister will have to do, but just be sure she won't tell anyone else including your family. she has to understand that she needs to respect what you want at this time in your life

10. dph414

dph414 Guest

I do have a couple friends I went to school with from kindergarten through 12th grade who might understand and I have thought about telling. Maybe I could tell them first. They have no regular contact with my parents. (that I know of)

11. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good!! :slight_smile: how do you think you might bring it up?

12. dph414

dph414 Guest

I think I can first ask them what they think about people who are gay, and ask them why they feel that way.

13. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i remember asking one of my friends would he care if i were gay, and he told me it was obvious after asking him that that i was gay. it was a pretty good giveaway

14. dph414

dph414 Guest

I will definitely try to bring it up the next time I come in contact with one of my friends.

15. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    let me know how it goes!!!! ill be around :slight_smile:

16. dph414

dph414 Guest

You will be the first to know how it went. Thanks again for your advice.

17. Naomilly92

maybe test the waters, mention something gay related and see what they say. I think you should definitely come out to your sister first, in my experience I have found that girls are a lot more understanding when it comes to coming out.

18. Deaf Not Blind

Hi! Im a Baptist! I went to Christian school until 6th grade.

I am always surprised at the # of gay men from Christian homes I know from Ohio. :O We gotta one day do a study, what you put in your drinking water...

Drop hints? Talk about a good friend until they really like them and want to meet them, then bring the lezzie or gayboy over for dinner! :grin: It is hard to break stereotypes until you love someone and find out they are not evil and crude.

19. dph414

dph414 Guest

SO HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Like I posted before, it was my "new year's resolution" to come out to someone close to me. So today, January 1, 2013, seemed like a good day.

The thought of telling one or both of my parents had been eating me up all day. It was getting late, 10 PM or so, and I sat on a couch across the room from my mother. My christian, church-attending, loving, understanding mother. My Mom and I have a close relationship, even though she has a busy work schedule. The reason I chose to tell her first is because she is one of the smartest (if not the smartest) women I know.

So, let me set this up for you. I am 18 years old, a freshman in college. I am shy, and always have been. I have been attracted to other males since around 6th or 7th grade, and only recently have began to accept it. I've had both female and male friends throughout my elementary and high school years, but I have never dated anyone of either gender. Not even homecoming. I was raised in a Christian household, and was taught that homosexuality is a sin. My parents and siblings attend a Nazarene church, and I attended up until my 18th birthday.

So here's (sort of) a paraphrasing how our conversation went.

Me: Hey, mom, can I talk to you about something?
    Mom: Sure.

Me: So, you know how I never asked any girls out to homecoming or junior senior banquet, and I sometimes say I don't see myself being married to a woman?
    Mom: Yeah

Me: It's because I'm not attracted to women. I'm attracted to other guys.
    Mom: You Know that's a difficult lifestyle, and it's not accepted by the majority of people. I think you're too young to be deciding on your sexuality, especially since you've never been on a date.
    ---At this point, I was pleasantly surprised she wasn't crying or quoting the bible.---

Mom: So, when things like a Victoria's Secret commercial come on the TV, it doesn't excite you at all?
    Me: No

Mom: And You're ONLY attracted to men?
    Me: Yes.

Mom: Have you ever pictured yourself married to a woman or having children?
    Me: I have never really "pictured" that, but I know It's sort of "expected" of me.

Mom: well, I still think you need some time to think about how you feel about sexuality. I'd like you in the next couple of years to try and go on a date with a girl. I'm glad you talked with me about this.

I'm still processing what happened between me and my mom tonight. I don't know if she'll go upstairs to tell my dad or not. It really doesn't matter, in fact I'd rather her tell him than me. I decided against telling my 15-year-old sister, because I know when I was that age, that was the last thing I wanted to talk about. I was pleasantly surprised by my mom's understanding, but I was somewhat dissapointed that she thinks I'm too young to decide about my orientation. It's been 6 years or more that I have been attraced to men. I'm considered an adult now. What do you think?

20. Jman960

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!

Ok first off, congrats on telling your mom! That's a huge step and it's definitely not easy. I'm in the process of coming out myself and just recently told my mom and my sister (who just turned age 16) in December. I was raised Catholic so i was horrified telling my family, but i kind of blurted it out one day. My mom has been great about it so far. My sister was so much more receptive than i ever thought she would be and was even giving me advice! She just sat and listened to what i had to say and was blunt with me. I never expected that out of her so even though it's tough thinking about telling your sister, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I have dated women in the past in high school and in college (recent grad) and i'm still confused about it. I think your mom is right considering the fact you've never been in a relationship with a woman, but at the end of the day you know what you like. This whole process is about testing the waters and trying to date a woman or be in a relationship isn't a bad place to start. Same goes for a man, if you find out he makes you happy then that's what matters at the end of the day. Above all else, do what feels natural and allow yourself time to figure it out, it gets easier.

Good luck with everything and hope this helped some!
    P.S. it might be the water, i'm from Ohio too :slight_smile: