1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteering and General Depression

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tabb, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Tabb

Could someone give me some advice here? Answers?

My doctor recently put me on some low dose meds, which haven't changed a bit of anything. My problem is really that I see nothing exciting about life. I watch anime, play video games, read books, and everything in them makes me smiles. Then I look at life and just frown at the lack of exciting things. I mean, right now I'm pretty much on the verge of tears.

And so I've started to think that maybe getting out and helping people would be a good start to something. I don't know what, but something. I just feel like doing it. I feel like helping dogs at an animal shelter, keeping people company at a hospital, and just random stuff like that. But I don't know how to start. Do I just walk in and ask to volunteer? A lot of my depression revolves around the fact that this world is absolute shit. War, hunger, hate, lies, and so on and so forth. I think if I started playing my part, I would have something to motivate me and push me forward.

So all I ask is if anybody can help guide me on my way? I'm always really nervous about starting new things. I just want to know how to start.

2. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Helping others has always given me a sense of "purpose" if you will. I would google local volunteer opportunities, or call places in the area like nursing homes or hospitals to ask rather than driving all that way. Almost all hospitals offer volunteering opportunties as well as nursing homes or animal shelters. Just give them calls when they're open and simply ask what kind of volunteering opportunities do they have going on right now, and I'm sure they'd be happy to let you know.

3. Ticklish Fish

some organizations also offer seasonal od even, annual volunteer thing lol

like i think there's this volunteer i been to that they drive you to places to pick up trash and shit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha "pick up trash and shit" that made me laugh

5. Saviour

Saviour Guest

I found that volunteering helped me for a while, but I have one of the most severe cases of depression according to my psychiatrist. (literally nothing works for me)
    I did a lot of work with animals, so maybe a local zoo? Most zoos do school programs so you'd be able to inspire kids and other things. It all depends on what's going on in your area.

6. wandering i

I commend you for turning your feelings into a call to action. Expecting anything to permanently rid you of depression might lead to disappointment, but meeting new people, trying new things, and being good to others for the sake of it are great mood boosters in my experience. Plus, you widen your networks, so when you are blue or in need of a friend, there are more people you can turn to.
    I'm proud of you for wanting to help. I agree that you should look online for different charities, shelters, retirement homes, etc in your area and call to tell them you'd like to volunteer. Even if the place you call doesn't take volunteers, they may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Your post made me happy. Best of luck and please feel free to talk to me if you ever need someone to listen.

7. Naomilly92

I'm in exactly the same position as you, life's going fine, but I'm not happy, I am also thinking of volunteering, I also think trying new things would help. My advice would be to get a hobby, i.e. photography or cooking, volunteer, get counselling and join a club, it'll distract you from your "dull" life and give you some purpose, good luck :slight_smile:.