1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arghhh arrogant straight 'friends'

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fluidity, Dec 23, 2012.

1. fluidity

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So.. I've just got in from a night out with my old school friends. Every year we have Christmas drinks, we all live quite far from eachother and its the one night we all make an effort to meet up. I was really looking forward to seeing everyone. I came out to a few close friends earlier in the year, but had made it clear that it wasn't a big deal and I didn't want it being discussed like gossip. And then tonight, a group of my friends (less close friends, I didn't even know they knew) decided to openly discuss my sexuality in front of a load of guys they were trying to impress and one of them kept mentioning this one time she apparently got dressed in front of me (I don't even remember this time, and am not attracted to her in the slightest.) And they were all talking like I was some big pervert and asking really personal questions. It just felt like suddenly I wasn't their friend I was some freak show. They were talking about me like I wasn't there. And they all seem to be convinced that I'm attracted to them and have lulled then into some false sense of security this whole time we've been friends (like 15 years!!!). I'm not attracted to any of them and never have been. Urgh I just feel like suddenly they're not my friends. And one of my closest friends must have discussed it with them in the first place. I don't want to lose my oldest friends but I just feel so uncomfortable with any of them after that. I feel so sad. How can I make it go back to normal?!!

2. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, it really sounds like they were making a total joke out of something that clearly makes you feel vulnerable. I would definitely talk to them about this and make sure they know how upset you are about the things that they said. I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I hope it wasn't too awkward.

3. SomeNights

Yeah, been there and it sucks!!!!! Defiantly don't let it go unmentioned, but don't kill someone either. Remember that they probably have no idea that being queer doesn't change who you are as a person and that there is more to you than the fact that you like girls(*hug*)

4. fluidity

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the words of support guys. And don't worry I'm not going to kill anyone! Haha.
    It just hurts, and I don't think they have a clue! Not really sure how to broach any kind of discussion on it. I feel quite lucky I don't live round here anymore, there is a lot more understanding in London thankfully!

5. SomeNights

I cant say about the UK (from what i'm told we americans are far too forward etc.). Anyway I just pulled my friend aside and literally said "look dude, not cool. It hurts. Knock it off."