1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone in the closet, not me (PLEASE READ, IMPORTANT)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Isaac, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Isaac

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been thinking about this for a while because I've been thinking about if I never came out to my family. I know my dad wouldn't care, but there are other problems which is not the focus of this thread. I'm fairly open with most of my friends, and I'm not living in residence in University so I meet most people in class, and most of the people I'm close with, I wouldn't care if they knew (I already make jokes, and stuff, I'm in the Drama Dept lol), but anyways.

I also know that I'm willing to be open if I had a boyfriend. I will admit though that I may not kiss or hold hands in public (I've never had a relationship so maybe I would eventualy open up to it) but what about you, and I no offence, I don't really want any dumb answers "Well, I only want someone who's open, and anyone who isn't is not for me", "I won't live lies for them or with them etc". I mean, in a more realistic way I think that some people have relatiosnhips where one person is not comepletely there and that's more of my focus. I'm not talking about somoene who is only gay when there on the phone with you or completely closed off.

I mean I'm just wondering if any of you would date someone who was fine with being you're partner, hanging out, willing to tell friends, or meet your parents if you were further along, but is not %1000 open. Someone who is confident, knows who there are, is proud, and will stick up for them selves when they need to. I mean I know it's hard for all of us to be there, but we never hear about people who have been seeing someone, and A has not told their parents, so B offers advice, and is okay with that. Meanwhile A is a great match, and their confident and open everywhere else in their life but B needs to help A with one area.

I mean, I guess my big question would be, would you date someone who was not in the same place as you, and consider other things. Maybe you two have a great connection, and you can do the same sports, hobbies, foods, activities, interest's, and maybe they just haven't 1) Come out to there family 2)Maybe there not comftorable kissing or holding hands in public 3) Maybe the don't want to go to gay bars, resturaunts or clubs (not to say that's the only place will go to eat or have fun) 4)Or maybe the only person who knows is a close friend, and the person he's seeing 5) Or what ever situations that could cause a problem.

*** I mean no offence, but there are some people out there who are very young and they have had the opportunity to grow up in a very loving and open enviroment, and they have been able to come out at 13, 14, 15 etc to family, friends, community, school etc. Sometimes I find thses people become arrogant as they seem to think that becasue they had (no offence), and easier time comming out, and they are further ahead then others; that all of us have had an easy time, and are all on th same page as them. They meet a gay person, maybe find out thet have not fully come out to their family, or what ever the case maybe and then they begin to pitty, or think less of us! Then suddenly they feel that we are slwoing them down, and that we have nothing to offer in the relationship and it's over. I don't mean to say that it's only young teens who do this but gay people of all ages, and I maybe going out a very far limb...but a lot of gays seem to push this idea that the only good relatiosnhips, the only way you'll find hapiness, a true lover (all the other shit you can think of), is ONLY if both partners are %1000 open, to every aspect of there life, and I think it's wrong!

There are probably plenty of relationships where people are not completely open with every aspect of their life, and so many other combinations you can think of, but we just don't here about them or we never hear from the partner (B) who's trying to help the other (A) be happier, more open etc. Offer advice, help one get the courage to tell their parents, shield them from their homophobic work, school, family, help them become more confident etc!

Again, I'm just wondering how many of you have felt that, have had that happen or if anyone can understand what I'm trying to say. I mean if I was seeing someone who was not in the place as me, as a friend and a partner I would be trying to encourage them, and be supportive.

Thanks

Isaac

2. Fiorino

...personally I wouldn't mind, but I'm kind of in the same situation.
    I went out with someone who was a bit paranoid about it, he didn't
    want anyone to find out, but eventually a wierdo/jerk -ex friend of
    mine who had the hots for him had to bitch about how he was
    jealous to his friend. ...Anyways, people found out and it wasn't
    that big of a deal. But, we didn't do anything close in public and
    neither of us are really out. I have close friends who know about
    it too. So, to answer your question, I don't think it's that big of
    a deal, but some people might. Hope that helped :astonished:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Relationships where the partners are not fully open are very, very hard. I remember seeing a professional footbal player on Rosie O'Donnell's DVD about her GLBT cruises who had to remain closeted while playing football. His partner had to respect his wishes and they said it was very very hard but he did it because he loved him. After he retired from football, they lived their lives openly and authentically and ended up adopting two beautiful little kids.

Being in the closet puts strains on relationships. In my sons former relationship, his partner had come out but the parents were in denial and would not talk about it all. Adam never met his partners parents because of this and it ended up being the end to their relationship. I guess I would think very carefully about this. What are you willing to put your partner through and what is your partner willing to do for your relationship to be successful?

4. sexyalex

What becky said was true. however, if one partner dosn't wish to be fully open then the other partner should be supportive. however if u are not willing to do stuff that would make the other person feel somewhat "offended" then i don't see hwo it would work. i mean even if ur not open but ur still not 2 faced then everything should be good.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think that maybe the question lies not in whether one is out and one is not, but whether the one who isn't is willing to make steps to come out. I mean, I'm not out to my parents and everyone yet, but gradually more and more people know...and I certainly intend to come out in the next six months. If I were out, I would date someone who was coming round to coming out, but I'd think very carefully before dating someone who had no intention of ever coming out - I think that the strain of being secret *forever* would be too great. But a slight difference of timing, if the closeted individual is taking steps towards coming out, is possible I think. - so I think it all depends on whether the intention and liklihood of coming out at some point is there.

6. I would date someone who wasn't out only because I'm kinda the same way. While I am out to everyone I'm not really open about it. I don't talk about it with my family unless they bring it up, and even with friends if they ask me if a certain guy is hot I pretty much dodge the question. So I'm in a glass closet essentially, people can see that I'm bi but I'm not open with it so I wouldn't discriminate at all against someone who was totally closeted and it wouldn't play a factor really if we both wanted to date each other.

7. Trumpetplyer23

I understand what your saying, Emperor. My friends don't really do it, because I'll tell them if I think someone is hot or something. But my mom, I told her and we don't talk about it unless she brings it up, and its usually a joke (not meant in a mean way because my mom is freaking sweet!)

8. I know what you mean. My mom is amazing at life and would never say anything to offend me about that but she does joke about it too. So I can relate =]

9. Trumpetplyer23

Go people with awesome moms! Wow, I'm offtopic *jumps back on*. Anyways, I had a slightly easy coming out process (with a few hitches) but some people won't have that, but if a person who is out really cares about the person who isn't out, they should just go for it, if the attraction is there, then closets shouldn't matter.

10. SlickyPants

A friend of mine posed this question to me when he didn't understand why I was crazy about some guy I work with. The guy in question is either straight or closeted and I am hoping it is the latter. "Why would you want to date someone who is in the closet?", he said.

I am very much willing to make some sacrifices because I think this guy is wonderful. I was also in the closet a short time ago so I have an idea what someone like that would probably be feeling. I don't have any problems being just friends in public. So I couldn't hold hands in public, I wouldn't be able to take him out to dinner, etc. We could stay in and I could cook him a nice meal and after we could snuggle up and watch a movie.

There is one thing I would hope he could be open about but if not, it isn't a big deal and that would be meeting my parents. My parents are very supportive and have said they'd love to have my boyfriend over whenever I meet somebody. Again, I wouldn't hold it against them if they would rather not be open around my parents. I can do with just being friends around my parents.

11. Jim1454

I'm on the same page here. If someone is terrified about coming out, then they likely aren't entirely comfortable with themselves. If that is the case, how can they be really comfortable with you either?

Thankfully, my bf and I are pretty much in the same position. And while I came to realize I was gay a few months before he did, he has had to come out to more people faster because of how the 'news' travelled in his family.

My kids are younger, and I'm simply not ready to tell them yet. Not because I'm ashamed, but because I don't want to burden them with this while they are only 4 and 7. But he understands that and supports me. He told his kids because he had to, and they are older (7 and 10). To some extent, it is limiting some aspects of our relationship, but it is something that we're both willing to live with right now.

12. acorn7

Absolutely I would. I'd want to help him, make him comfortable, etc. Isn't that the point of the gay community, standing up for each other?

Yeah, I totally understand. It's too bad...

Your post is pretty confusing :icon_wink but I too would be completely supportive. In fact, having someone like that would even be a plus, because I have this instinctive desire to help people (trust me, that's not always a good thing...).

13. Witch of the We

California's version of Munchkinland and the West
    My boyfriend's not out yet , but only a select few know like my friends and his best friend. But I kinda understand why because of all the crap he would get for it cause he's on like every team at school. Come to think of it only about 10 people know he's bi; him, his best friend, my best friends, and well me.

14. Isaac

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you to everyone who posted. You're advice is supportive, which I think either closeted or not, we should all be supporitive of each other. Someone did post that "if someone is terrified about coming out, then they likely aren't entirely comfortable with themselves", and I think that is a stupid comment to make and it's every offending! I know who I am, I'm not ashamed,and I'm perfectly comfortable with my self. I may not flaunt it, tell every single person, and yes I maybe a little uncomfortable at times but who isn't. Some people are afraid to come out becasue of rejection, kicked out of home (I don't think would happen to me), abuse etc. Also, becasue someone has not come out does not mean that the other person would find it awkward / uncomfortable. Maybe yes at time but that does not mean the relation would fail.

To all those who said they would be supporitive, and try to help their partner come out, thank you, as I believe that if I was in either position I would want, and do that.

Thank You