1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introvert intimidated to date an extrovert

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LaurieAnderson, Dec 24, 2012.

1. LaurieAnderson

So there's this boy -- I'm rather crazy about him. Thing is, I'm extremely introverted and he's extremely extroverted. And I find it utterly intimidating. He seems to know and get along with absolutely everyone, and has absolutely no issue making friends. When I try to make friends with people, they mostly just think I'm strange (and esoteric). Not to mention the type of friends he has are extroverts as well, and not the types I'm accustomed to -- their conversations and topics are very different from that of my friends, and I find it difficult to contribute. He's very well liked, and for good reasons. On top of this, he's absolutely stunningly good looking. I swear the most beautiful thing I've laid eyes on. Me? Average, maybe, on a lucky day. On top of this he's stronger physically than I am, and certainly less of a scrawny geek. ON TOP of this, he's an incredibly talented athlete, and the star player of his team. O, and with all of this he's still younger than me.

He still seems smitten with me. Very smitten -- but I can't understand why, as much as I want things to work out. We're not "official", merely old acquaintances, but he's always wanted me. Still does. I don't know what to do about my insecurities, it's not like there's some product I can buy that will get rid of it. I don't really know what to ask, but I feel I could use some advice, so I'll ask this: What do I do?

2. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of the extroverted guys seem fascinated by those who are introverted. Something about the mystery of it all. I myself happen to be very introverted, and I know that a lot of guys who are known to be extroverted like me because my shyness gives off a sense of innocence and inexperience (I guess? LOL). But honestly, I prefer the guys who are more outgoing because they compensate for the things that I DON'T have (like perfect social skills). It makes for a really compatible relationship. I think that you should explore it and see what happens. You might find that you enjoy it :slight_smile:

3. You like him, and he likes you! It sounds like a great situation to be in, actually. You don't exactly want to be dating your clone, and this "opposites attract" kind of thing can be exciting. Does he know that you like him? Don't let this moment slip. Let him know how you feel, in a casual chat or something.

4. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you may think you're average looking, and sure, maybe you don't have the cliche male beauty, but you might be better looking than you think. Also, a person doesn't have to be overall beautiful to be attractive, having just one good trait can be enough. For example, my (ex)crush has the most amazing hair. I mean that to be in no way creepy xD. It's just so silky, and seems to just flow perfectly for him. He has an honest kind of beauty to him, I just liked his face, he's very friendly and sort of mysterious looking.

Regardless, you seem to assume that as a jock-sort of guy, he must only be superficial, only like you because of your looks. That's not always true, and in this case he probably sees something in you that he finds beautiful :slight_smile:.

I say go with it, I'd say you have a chance at a very special relationship. Believe it or not, extroverts tend to be good partners for introverts. The very nature of introverts means that they will be less outgoing, less comfortable opening up to people. An extrovert in a relationship can take the lead when things are still growing between you; bridge the gap so to speak. He can encourage you to be open with him, and respect your feelings. Two introverts might find it difficult to move past the initial stage of a relationship, as they're both unsure about communicating and finding a common ground.

As for getting over your insecurities, there is a way to make them go away. From the sounds of it, you feel like you're not as successful of a person, well, maybe that's true. Maybe he's much farther down the road to his dreams than you are. If that's true, acknowledge it, then start working to resolve it. Find an interest, and work hard to advance yourself in that area. Maybe you want to learn how to draw, well pursue that. Just find something that you can learn, and be proud of. That's what you need, a little pride in yourself; something to make you feel like you have something to contribute in a relationship.

5. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's easy to focus on your flaws and things you don't like about yourself (I can say that from experience!) but other people are far more likely to see through that to your good points. You've said yourself he likes you so I'd just try not to question why and enjoy it. Not easy, I know, but maybe this can help you work through some of your insecurities. Hope it works out for you :slight_smile:

6. LiquidSwords

I love guys who are really shy and that thing about innocence sort of makes sense, shy guys are really cute for some reason.

4AllEternity has called it also, not everyone is attracted to what you'd call classically good looking guys. If he likes you then don't worry about why, just roll with it.

7. ptacub

ptacub Guest

In my group of friends there are these two guys that has been together for 7 years. One is a very flamboyant actor who loves socializing and being around friends ALL THE TIME! He is always cracking jokes, making everyone laugh and making sure everyone is having a good time. His partner is a software programmer who is quiet and doesn't really talk much unless spoken to or he feels compelled to say something. But both are deeply in love with one another and, like I said, they've been together for 7 years.

My advice: Stop thinking about it and chat to him. Try to get to know him better. And who knows, you may just get into a long, loving relationship like my friends :wink: