1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents not accepting..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by here is no why, Dec 24, 2012.

1. here is no why

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys,
    I posted here just over a year ago, i visit regularly enough but i need to post again..

Ever since i came out to my parents a year ago, theyve been weird about both my sexuality and my relationship. My mother says she's okay with it, but doesnt want my sister or brother to know. Yet i know shes not okay with it due to how she often acts when i mention my boyfriend, she gets weird and i guess almost avoids the conversation. My dad has dumbfounded me.. When I came out he went nuts, he was trying to get me to get blood tests and all sorts of stuff - i didnt..

He calls it a lifestyle choice and i can tell resents me a bit over it. I figured he was just going through the stages and then one day he sat me down, and said he wasnt really okay with it but didnt want to be a "block" between me and my boyfriend and that he wanted to have a beer with us and get to know him. When i reapproached him to ask when, he snapped and said he doesnt want anything to do with it and "he'll meet my BF when we get girlfriends".

What makes me feel worse is that, basically (partiularly when my dad is home) i cant bring my BF over to hang out at my house. They essentially seem to want to pretend he doesnt exist.

His parents on the other hand, welcomed me from day one and treat me like a son.

It kills me inside because despite all our arguments i love my parents deeply and just wish they could act like my BF's family. It makes me resent my parents at times.

I just dont know what to do with them anymore.

Ps, happy holidays guys.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

also, apologies, i just realised i posted this in the wrong section.

2. Gen

Gen

Its good that you really care about your parents, but their relationship with you cannot be one-sided. They need to be loving and accepting of you whether you end up with a women or a man. The problem with the way bisexuality is precieved is that many take it too believe that you may fancy someone of the oppoiste sex, but at the end of the day you will settle down with a wife and kids and have a traditional family. I have a feeling that this is what you parents are waiting for. The time when you settle down with a women a we can sweep this bisexual thing under the rug.

It might just be something that you have to deal with while you live under their roof, but once you move out on your own it is something that should be addressed. You cannot leave your partner at home and go spend the holidays with your family because they wont accept him, nor a part of you. And personally for now, I would give them some tough love because its not ok. You deserved to be loved how you are, not how they want you to be.

3. here is no why

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry for the late reply, Gen. Thank you, maybe thats how i should go about it.