1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad thinks "I've been brainwashed"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CharlesFP, Dec 24, 2012.

1. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    When I was coming out to him I told him I was talking to a few lesbian couples and he thinks that they made me think I'm gay. I know for a fact that I'm gay, I was sure I was before I even talked to them about it. Then he got really mad at me when I told my Step-Mom who was really supportive. is there anything i can say to him that would get him to understand.

2. giantsteen

He's going to blame whoever he wants for now because right now he doesn't want to accept it. You told him the truth and that's what counts right now. He'll have to get used to it sooner or later. He may not understand now, but he may later. I wish you luck :slight_smile:

3. DarkClarity

First of all, you should be proud of what you've done. You've had the courage to be honest to your father and tell him that your gay. As giantsteen said, he's angry and in denial. You'll just have to wait and see what happens. You said your step-mother is supportive so in the mean time maybe you can talk to her. I wish I could be of more help. Good luck with everything.

4. J Snow

Ironically, its your father that's been brainwashed by religion and politics. I think giving him time is all you can do. You should be proud of yourself though.

5. Deaf Not Blind

he likely just wants you the best of life and gay is not it. he's scared for you, his son, and loves you. but men don't often cry when upset, they get angry and when not in control they get real mean at the innocent.

he's going to feel bad abt how he's acting someday. he just don't know its real, or that it can be okay, he is afraid others don't care abt you are using you. if this is true...in time when you are safely dating and happy he will feel better.

6. CharlesFP

limerick PA About 1 hour from Philadelphia
    Thanks for the help everyone. I haven't talked to him much today but tomorrow we will be on the road for about two hours on the way to my moms house, so I'm going to try to get him to talk to me in the car. And if it goes bad I wont be seeing him for at least two weeks anyway, so that's a plus. Also if he gets really made at me and kicks me out of the car I still have plenty of people that I can call for a ride.