1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my dad hit me last night hes sorry but i dont forgive him

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sunnii, Dec 24, 2012.

1. sunnii

We always had a good relationship and he's never been violent before so I was and am in total shock.

I was watching a DVD in the living room. When he came back from the pub and he was in a decent mood. He was in the kitchen making himself dinner and was on the iPad but about half and hour later he came in and was in a bad mood that he was starving and his dinner wasn't ready yet. Them a sex scene came.on the tv.so he.tried to skip it but was using the wrong remote which set him off more. I started ffing it and told him its a DVD he's using the wrong remote. He kept saying "I don't want to see that" and I kept saying "I'm skipping it". He then came up to ne and I sat back and stuck up foot up to say get back. Then he punched me in the face. I was so shocked and angry at the same time. I didn't want to hit back but I stood up to him nose to nose so he headbutted me. I grabbed him by the shirt and accidentally broke his chain and that set him off more so I ran upstairs. 5 minutes later I had to go back downstairs to get my phone to call someone but my sister came downstairs too. My dad punched me again after coming ay me. I managed to get him off his feet and just grabbed his throat while he had me in a headlock. Once he let go I ran upstairs.

My sister told me that we were both to blame (I'm paraphrasing) but I told her he came at me and I was defending myself. Also she wasn't there when he hit me twice before. My mum who wasn't hone at the time also said we were both to blame. Frankly they're both assuming because I was drinking however although I was drinking I only had 3 beers and.was in a good mood. My dd however I don't know how much he drank but he said he was starving so I'm guessing he hadn't eaten much either. Also if I was REALLY disrespectful and did something like call him a cunt or told him Fuck you (which I've never don't) I'd understand why he got so angry but the worst I did was tract badly to him getting mad.

Also not only did he hit me (which is inexcusable) he hit me THREE times. He hit me once and didn't feel any instant guilt or shame, infact he hit me again and when he had time.to cool down he came at.me again. He eventually apologized and said its the worse thing he's ever done but at this moment I don't forgive him. I wanted to stay somewehere else for the night but my mum begged me not to leave. And its fucking awkward considering its Xmas.

As I've said my dad has never been violent before but there was an incident last year where he fell down the stairs and my mum said something like him falling because he was drunk and he went crazy AMD they actually stood nose to nose like we did when.he headbutted me. I was sitting in front of then the whole time and I didn't want to leave because I was so scared he'd hit my mum which thankfully he didn't but I didn't speak to him for a week after that and only started to speak to him because it was Xmas eve.

I've always had a good relationship with my dad. We are very similar people which can be a bad thing when we argue because neither of us back down. In fact I've fell out with my mum a lot this year and he's always understood my pov and felt my mum could be over the top when we argue. Bit the fact is HE HIT ME THREE TIMES!!! An argument is an argument and there are two sides to every story but the fact is HE was violent and I actually resisted twice to strike him

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You probably will forgive him, someday, but for the time being even if you DID say something to rile him up, it doesn't excuse him throwing the first punch.

However, it does seem that as this is the first time, there must be some serious underlying issue - you don't just turn violent, even when drunk, unless something sets you off.

When you're in a place to talk to him again(most certainly after he properly apologises), while he's sober, you need to try and find out what caused these events.

3. SomeNights

He's a parent, he had no right to hit you, but Are you okay?

4. sunnii

Re: my dad hit me last night hhes sorry but i dont forgive him

Physically the right side of my jaw hurts if I try to close it properly and the other places he hit me are a bit sore but I don't think you can see anything.

I cried myself to sleep last night. I had a rough week as it was buy before the incident happened, I was in a good mood. I think because its Xmas it just magnifies everything. Today is going to be very awkward. I do see myself breaking down today. Once dinner is over I'm just going straight to my room.

5. SomeNights

(*hug*)

Just take it easy. R.I.C.E. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. If you wanna vent some more feel free to, but I'd just avoid him and let things settle for now :slight_smile:

6. Lad123

I'm sorry this happened to you. What the hell is wrong with people these days beating up their own children without provocation?! I admire you for staying calm and not shouting at him (I would have done so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Perhaps you should consider moving out if you can, you never know if he will just snap and do worse next time.

7. Deaf Not Blind

3 beers? dude you maybe not sober even if you think so.
    Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook
    You may remmy it different than it happened...and he might have seen it different too.

0.04 — 0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

#7 Deaf Not Blind, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have got to get out of that house. While I'm not entirely against very minor physical discipline to stop an out-of-control child (but even that's debatable), actually hitting your child to inflict injury is disgusting. He has no right to do that, and I don't even fully understand why he did it. Why did he come at you because of a sex scene on TV? The fact that he hit you again when you came back downstairs just further proves that he's in the wrong. If he had just lost his temper, there would be at least some small redeeming value to what he'd done, but he doesn't even have that.

You need to seriously consider moving out. I know it seems intimidating, but at your age you can handle it (assuming you really are 20). It is never right under any circumstances for a parent to be so violent, and though you may forgive him someday, you have to think about right now. You do not deserve to be hit by someone, and being drunk is no excuse. If he's violent when he's drunk, it's on him to not get drunk in the first place, not you to forgive him for his actions.

9. FemCasanova

Hmm.. I should not add my opinion to this, because I have a strict not forgive physical punishment stuff, because of issues with my own father.

What I will say though, is that I understand it must feel terrible, to go through this, only to be told by your sister and your mother that this was partly your fault. I can understand how that would devastate you. For what it is worth, nothing a person says is excuse enough for someone who claims they love him/her to throw a punch. He could have chosen to talk back! He could have chosen to leave the room. He could have done a lot of things, without hitting you. He chose to make it physical, that was his choice, his fault, not yours! So don`t let them make you feel guilty. Whatever you said, IF you said something, is not cause for him puncing you! That was not right! He is the parent, not you. He is the one responsible for this. He chose to drink. He chose to punch you.

This is NOT your fault!

*Hugs!*

10. MixedNutz

Sorry to hear this. Regardless of what is said, never a reason to lay hands on someone.

I'm glad you defended yourself, when things cool down you should speak with him and tell him this was and is and always will be totally unacceptable.

11. Naomilly92

I wouldn't forgive him either, violence is wrong, especially from a parent. You shouldn't make excuses for him either, it doesn't matter what you did, he hasn't got the right to hit you. My advice would be to get as far away from him as possible

12. sunnii

Thanks for giving all your views Xx
    Basically what happened today was I got out of bed by 1040 to have breakfast and my mum was up . She asked me how I felt and I just told her my jaw hurt and I bit my tongue after he headbutted me. I then told her I wasn't that drunk and I was in a good mood before the incident. She seems to be 100% on my side now. Me her and my sister opened our presents that morning and just avoided ny dad the whole day. Normally however on Xmas we go visit relatives (on my dads sidejust fyi) but my mum told my auntie (her sister) on the phone she didn't want to visit anyone. The 3 of us kind of did our own thing but wall 4 of us had dinner together but only the 3 of us were talking.

An awkward moment was when me and my sister were watching a DVD in her room my dad came in and apologised to us again and gave us an Xmas card each both containing £100. I didn't say anything to him but I don't know what to do. I don't want to talk to him anytime soon and I don't really want to accept his money. (I do see it more of a genuine gesture than a buy out) but at the same time I feel rude to reject that kind of money.

I am in general someone who when someone does 9 mean things to me and 1 nice thing, ill like them for doing that one nice thing. It's even harder considering this is an issue with my own dad who I always had a very good relationship with

13. Deaf Not Blind

forgiveness is a good thing.
    but money or...in my case mom gave me dolls...is not the way either.
    he needs to man up and instead of you both reaching for the bottle, talk abt this big thing that is making him hurt and hurt you and destroy his family.
    Christmas is the best time to show love....you be the adult here...take card with you, sit down, say money won't heal your broken heart you love him and want him to love you...then tell him this won't happen again, we are talking about it. then do.

14. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your dad obviously regrets what he did, but that doesn't mean you can just take the money, forgive him, and leave things as they are. Abusive alcoholics often follow the pattern you describe, do something terrible in anger, then try to superficially apologize with gifts. What you must understand is that he likely learned this from his father, so when he gives you a gift, he is reaching out to you. What you have to do in this situation is take this as an opportunity to talk, father to son. You have to break the cycle of accepting gifts as an apology, and figure out the root issue together. He obviously feels bad, he just doesn't know how to appropriately express it. So you should try and take the initiative, and when he's sober, say "Dad, I want to talk to you about what happened.". Make the conversation a calm, non-accusatory one, you want it to be constructive. Hope it goes well!