1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does being out to 2 people still mean I'm in the closet?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Draco, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just like the title says. I'm only out to 2 people and have no intention of telling anyone else anytime soon. So does that mean I'm still in the closet?

2. RainbowMan

I don't get the question - you're in the closet to everyone else other than those 2 people....

So maybe the closet door is a little open?? :grin:

3. FunnyMonkey

Yes and no you have your foot out of the closet. anyways, congratulations on coming out to them!!!

4. Ashton

You're peeking out the closet but still in there :slight_smile:

5. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yea see I was curious of the same thing. Well at least I'm starting to peer out of the closet.

6. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd say the door is a little open, but you are still all the way in.

I've wondered the same before, good question.

7. sunnii

So if to be out of the closet do you have to be out to everyone?

8. Ashton

I'd say that to be out the closet you wouldn't be denying it, but it doesn't necessarily mean you go round telling everyone? Idk.

9. Gen

Gen

The term the 'closet' comes from secrets, skeletons that we hide in the hidden depths of our 'closets'. You are only in the closet as much as you want to be. As long as you hide who you are from the world. If it were about numbers then we would techically always be in the closets because everyone will never know.(Or care quite frankly).

You dont have to shout it from the rooftops, just stop hiding yourself. Once you feel legitimately free, then your out.

10. ezkill

I feel like being out of the closet is two pronged. One involves coming out to yourself, while the other involves an initial coming out and new attitude. Coming out is a process that never ends, so "out of the closet" is sort of a silly way to put things, but we all use the phrase and it's understood what is meant based on context. I consider someone out if they have come out to themselves and some others, and do not have the intention of returning to the closet.

11. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really know what to think about this. In one way I don't think we are really ever completely done coming out, it is an on going process, that I suspect will continue our whole lives. On the other hand I am not sure that it is necessary to come out to every single person we encounter. Family, close friends, co-workers, yeah, I think they should know, because it is a big part of who we are. For others thought, unless there is a situational reason for them to know, I tend to think it is really none of their business.

But back to the original question: Are you out or still in the closet? To those two people you are definitely out, and even if you don't plan to tell anyone else right now, you must be comfortable with opening the door just a little. So, congratulations on getting this far. Continue the journey as you see fit.

12. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may have a few toes out of the closet haha, but the majority of you is still in there. :slight_smile: