1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME my parents are jehovahs witness PLEASE READ!!!! Need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TyTy91, Dec 26, 2012.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know this is long but please I need some advice! :' (

I'm currently in college to continue taking my general ed classes
    I work as a cashier at a small grocery store (3 stores family owned) I get paid $9.50 an hour
    I plan to move out of the state in 2014 mid year or at the end of that year!

I'm 21 now, and I live with my strict Christian parents who are actually in a cult, they are jehovahs witness!

Anyways I came out of the closet in high school to my parents, they didn't take it well even though they said they've always knew. Then again its not surprising living with a African American family.
    The only reason why I'm living here is because I can save money so I can move out, I have almost $6,000 saved up. I can move out now if I want, but my money wont last.
    I'm not really trying to establish a relationship with my parents because they have to shun me or at least not have any contact unless an emergency, because I don't want any part of the religion. That's the rules they call it disfellowshipping.

My dream career is to be an aspiring Casting Director but I would like to work in Casting in the Film/TV industry. However, the problem is its hard to get into the entertainment field because its SO competitive, also you dont have a study income and that is very risky and terrifying and I dont want to go through that not having a study income.

I finally came up with a back up plan and that is to be a UltraSound Technician I like to focus for women who are pregnant. For school all you need is a Associates Degree in Sonography and then pass a exam to be certified. The job is flexible, the pay isn't bad, and its a study income which I like.

However Im pretty stuck on what I should be doing now! Ive came up with a couple of plans.

Plan #1 Complete all my general core classes and work at the same time and save every dime until I finish the classes. As well as looking for a LGBT roommate or LGBT friendly roommate.Then move out of the state and transfer to a accredited community college for a Ultrasound Technician. As well as planning to work a part time job, and to finally live my life the way I want it to be and keep working hard and going to school and graduate. Once I graduate with my degree I will look for a job and if I have a job and still have time, I can intern with Casting Agencies.

If I dont have a job in the Sonography field (Ultra Sound medical field) which would be surprisingly shocking, I will focus on Casting.

OR

Plan #2 Should I remain at home with my parents taking general core classes and then find a community college in Georgia (my state) for Sonography go to school and work to save while still living at home (God help me)

OR
    Plan #3 just right now find a community college here in Georgia look for a Sonography Associates Degree while living in my parents home and then move out.
    If plan #2 or #3 is better then I have to be out of here by 2015 for my sanity

So which plan is better?

PROBLEM 2
    I don't know what city I want to move to? Which city is better Chicago, LA or San Diego
    I'm so tired of living in Atlanta

My maternal grandmother has Co-Op housing her place is in downtown Chicago in a building and its on the 13th floor, you can see everything the Sears Tower straight ahead the John Hanthingy Center the Aon Center, Trump Tower, the trains, and you can see Lake Michigan. Its very pretty. Her place has 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom kitchen and living room.
    Ive been to Chicago a lot of times plus my parents were born and raised there. I like the city life too. However if I do choose to live there my grandmother still lives there but she is going to retire soon and move here in Atlanta with my mom. But still I haven't come out to her yet

Ive never been to LA before but my uncle who I haven't met before (he visited me at age 1) and the reason I would like to move to LA is because of the beaches, the night life and because of my dream career. I just know its very expensive there

San Diego because of the beaches and its just pretty there when I see it on TV like on the travel channel .

I want to move to a city where its very gay friendly, I need to know plus I get bored very easily so which of those 3 cities are better?

2. TyTy91, no one person can make those choices for you, but I'll try to give you my advice on the different choices.

If you plan to stay with your parents, it would make going to college easier if they will help to finance that. College is expensive and your money saved won't last for long. Afterward, you would be much better prepared financially.

If you plan to move away from your parents, my advice for you is to get a secure source of income first and foremost. You can plan the rest later. If you want to pursue college, some employers will pay for your education if you sign an agreement to work for them for "X" amount of time. Some nursing employers will pay for college I know for sure, so I would encourage you to look into this in your field of choice (Sonography if that's what your are interested in).

3. curlycats

let me preface this by saying i am SO not an educational adviser. everything i'm about to say is just my opinion based on what relatively little i know about your situation.

re: moving in-state vs out-of-state, i think it all boils down to money. have you looked into scholarships? loans? have you looked at all into the job market in the places that you'd like to move to? out-of-state tuition is absurdly more expensive than in-state tuition, so if you decide to move out-of-state you need to figure out how you're going to pay for it.

it's great that you have a lot of money saved already (i wish i had been that smart at your age), but it'd be dangerous (if not insane) to expect to get by on your money alone when studying out-of-state, even if you stay at home and earn more first.

speaking of which, i personally would continue living with your parents just long enough to finish what you're studying now and make sure you've got a solid plan in place for moving/transferring. once you've done all that, i'd move out at the earliest opportunity (but that's just me...!).

as for which city to move to... in my humble opinion, i think you're looking at it the wrong way. if you are serious about the careers that you would like to peruse, you should look into which colleges in America offer the best/most affordable options for your chosen fields and only THEN select a preferred location out of the locations where a good school college is. does that make sense? of course, you'd also probably want to make sure wherever the place is is open minded/accepting of LGBT students/people, but again this would come after finding suitable colleges for your field.

again, all of the above is just my opinion. i hope everything works out for you in the end. :slight_smile: goodluck.

#3 curlycats, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Other advices for me

R. Paradon
    OUCH! I would have to say that it must be your choice. If I knew you personally I would be able to discuss each facet of your plans but I do not. The important thing is to get your own place so that you can start living your life and not the life of your parents. It is sad about them being so closed minded and not having more love for you but it is their choice.

Just do not do anything rash and you will be fine. Education is a good thing but remember that getting a job in the arts is not an easy thing. The idea about the internship is good.

Keep us informed of what is going on. You have many friends here that you will probably never meet, but we are all supportive of each other and that is important!

JessiFox
    This is a really complicated subject...and I don't think any of us can understand the specifics of each facet of your plans. My gut reaction, from the general idea that I do know? Option 1 seems more practical and like it could pan out best for your situation but remember that no matter what you pick as your outline, it's good to keep your options open. Even moreso if your family will not be supportive to you...I'm sorry for that.

LiberalGeek
    I am not sure which one I would pick either. Option 1 sounds good at the surface but I don't know your life in detail.

I know this was not something you asked, but have you heard of the Universal Unitarian church? They are very LGBTQ friendly and it may help you some with the social skills if you're used to a church environment. I love mine even though I am a Humanist. (UU is not exclusive to Christians, but a lot of Christians do go) I would hate to see you feel isolated if church is an important part of your life.

GSBryce
    The choice is solely up to you my dear. Really sit down and contemplate your choices. Which one would make you the most happy? Happiness is so important. Don't ever choose a plan for your life if the journey will not truly make you happy. Ask for advice and really listed to it, but follow your heart.

ME

Plan #1 Complete all my general core classes and work at the same time and save every dime until I finish the classes. As well looking for a LGBT roommate or LGBT friendly roommate. Out of the state and transfer to a accredited community college for a Ultrasound Technician. As well as planning to work a part time job, and to finally live my life the way I want it to be

Plan #2 Should I remain at home with my parents taking general core classes and then find a community college in Georgia (my state) for Sonography while still living at home or just right now find a community college here at look for a Sonography Associates Degree while living in my parents home.

JessiFox
    Well I think your phrasing really says it all and answers your own question....the first one would lead you to the life you really want. So while it may be more effort initially and seems a little scary, I think that's the one I would go with. You have those dreams for a reason!

5. Deaf Not Blind

Move to Portland Oregon! We are one of top 3 gay cities, and we got a lot to offer beyond that.

PS i want to message you abt the church/cult please.