1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Church at Christmas

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mimerio, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Mimerio

Well last year, as some may know, I came out to my mother and father. (doesn't time fly?) and I had a question.

Do any of you feel unwelcome now that you are out in regards to religious services. Since my mother is a Church of England Christian (she doesn't mind) but the church does and has banned same sex marriages.

What do you guys think?

PS: Happy Belated Christmas

From Mimi

xx

2. Yeah, I'm Catholic and my situation's the same (mom doesn't care, church does) and I feel this uneasy feeling sometimes when I step in Church. I mean they don't know but it's just the whole fact that this is a religion that teaches that being gay/bi is a sin.

It's little more complicated for since I'm taking classes for my confirmation.

3. Hexagon

I've felt unwelcome in that place since before I could talk.

4. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a problem with any religion that teaches hate and bigotry. Catholics, Southern Baptists, Fundamentalists, Evangelicals, they are all wrong. I don't feel welcome and don't want to have anything to do with them.

5. LiquidSwords

I used to go to church pretty often when I was a kid, nowadays it's only at christmas and a few other times a year to keep my grandma company. So yeah I was in church on christmas eve and I did wonder how it would be if everyone knew I was gay. The vicar is actually a lovely guy and the CofE is generally pretty liberal but you do wonder. Yes I don't feel entirely comfortable in church but it's family tradition at christmas and my grandma really loves it when I go with her so that's why I do.

6. Deaf Not Blind

well my pastor has said twice in about 10 years that he reads homosexuality is wrong and should not be practiced. he aint a bad guy, that is how he reads it is all. he talks about it in about 4 sentences and moves on.

all in all i feel fine in my church though.

7. CTJ

CTJ

I used to work in the funeral business and have to spend alot of time in churches. I always felt awkward just being in the building, let alone being surrounded by people that are genuinely religious. I was raised in a non-religious household and all but one of my friends are either Atheist or Agnostic, so its always strange being around the religious.

I used to wonder whether i'd actually still have a job if i came out, could the churches actually request for me not to work the funeral if they knew i was gay?

8. I'm still Christian... but I've always hated church. A lot of the teachings have sweet meanings and all, but the hate for LGBT at my childhood church community was pathetic. I honestly hate going to any religious service at all anymore, a lot of them are so hateful and rude. I definitely feel unwelcome when I attend a Church service, although I hope I can find a LGBT-friendly community soon.

9. Robin

I skipped mass this Christmas because I came out this year. I'm Catholic, and every time I step into a church or a religious store, etc., I get really nervous and uneasy. Instead I sat with my aunt at her house and talked about religious problems and stuff. It was a nice alternative.