1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-Shirts and Coming Out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by step49x, Sep 27, 2006.

1. step49x

Here's my scenario: I'm in a group called "A Forum For Gay and Straight Students." We've joined with several other groups, like the college's Democratic group, and purchaced 100 t-shirts that say
    I've gone and picked one up, and have been thinking about wearing it this Friday, along with the 99 other people that also took them. We're supposidely doing this to show the campus that there are indeed people that are ok with different orientations, and sort of bring the issue up to the front (it's a pretty conservative campus, as far as orientation goes).

When they gave us these shirts, they told us we wouldn't have to say anything if we didn't want to, you could just go around wearing it. Unfortunatly, if you go around a college campus wearing this type of shirt, you're no doubt going to get some people asking you some questions.

I haven't come out to anyone here on campus, yet. You know that if I go around wearing this, you are going to have people assuming things (that i'm gay). I'm pretty sure I'll have people that will just ask me directly. And at this stage, if they ask me if I'm gay, I'm going to say "yes."

I'm just wondering, do you think this is a good way to come out, to pretty much everyone at the same time? Or should I be going about things more, well, slowly?

2. step49x

...and I can't spell "comming." Would someone with power mind changing that for me? :confused:

3. Micah

"coming" is spelt with one m so there's not much I can change for you :slight_smile:

Anywho - it's really a personal preference...Are you ready to come out to everyone yet? If you haven't come out to your close friends yet I'd suggest telling them first, or not wearing the T-shirt until you've told them. Otherwise they might take offense to the fact that you chose to tell the whole college before them :slight_smile:

Otherwise I say go for it - especially since you won't be the only one doing it - you'll have plenty of support.

4. tired_of_lying411

go for it! thats my plan.. well minus the tshirt... when i go away to college, im just gonna be out. anyone asks, i say yes, if i need to say something thats going to give it away, im gonna do it...

this is your time to shine, go for it!

anyone who has a problem with it will avoid you and anyone who wants to be friends will be true friends, its the PERFECT opportunity

5. step49x

Well, I wore it on Friday. I didn't get quite the response I was expecting, but hey, it was fun. I'm not sure if anyone who saw me wearing it thought I was gay. I only got a few comments on it, and they were more relating to everyone who wore them as a whole then aimed at me. Everyone who talked to me about them seemed pretty positive, though.

There's this guy at my college who I really like. I'm pretty sure he's straight, but there's a part of me that's hoping he isn't. Online, he's listed himself as straight, and he's posted some high school prom pictures of himself online. The pictures themselves may or may not prove anything. I also have some prom pictures of another guy friend and his female date, whome I recently found out was gay (although i believe they just went as 'friends'). I know, if nothing else, he's not homophobic. He commented somewhat neutrally on my shirt, and he also told me about the troubles a friend of his from high school had had trying to start up a GSA group there.

Sometimes, I really wish that I could get inside other people's heads to find out what their thoughts were...

6. tired_of_lying411

yay! congrats.. and i couldnt agree more about getting in their heads...