1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saying "I love you" for the first time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by unbreakable, Dec 26, 2012.

1. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everybody! So I've been dating my girlfriend for 3 months, and I've come to realise I'm completely in love with her. I was hoping to get some opinions on 1) when do you think is a good time to say it?(is 3 months too soon?... How long is too long to wait to say it?) and 2) what would be the most romantic way to say it?

I know it's more than lust because usually I lose interest in the person after we've had sex if it's lust. Also I was in a relationship for five years prior to her, so I know what being in love entails... Just so y'all know I'm serious and not just saying it on a whim.

Thanks for any advice! :slight_smile:

2. MidnightOwl

There is never a to late or to early when it comes to saying I love you. It just naturally came out with the person I am dating now. I just told them because it was what I felt. I don't normally just don't roll with my feelings, but I felt being honest was the best option.

3. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel you truly love her, then say it. People will often advise you to wait until certain times to say "the word", but I feel it's better to be honest, and expressing that feeling may draw you together.

Rather than the right time to say it, I'd think more about how you say it. I reccomend telling her you love her, but also assuring her that you're not asking for some kind of formal commitment or anything, that you're just saying your feeling. Also assure her that it's ok if she's not quite at that stage yet (people's feelings for each other don't always grow at the same rate, there's nothing wrong if she doesn't feel that way yet, it just means she needs more time :slight_smile: ). Essentially, you want her to understand that you care about her very much, that you love her; but that you're just speaking your mind, you're not asking anything of her.

Good luck! I believe you when you say you truly love her, my first (and most recent) love just hit me like a ton of bricks; I knew right away that I loved him. There's something about real love that's hard to put into simple words (oh there's cliches, but they aren't always true), it's best characterized by the feeling of comfort, security, happiness, and pleasure that you get when you're around the person, and all of those feelings have nothing to do with sex. Of course you're attracted to the person, but you feel like sex isn't a big deal, like it's just something to do together. Essentially, it's when you start to truly want the person, not just the feelings they provide.

4. integrand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I feel like there is no time frame on when you should say it. If you honestly believe that you love her, then you should tell her. There's nothing worse than waiting until it's too late to tell the one you love how you truly feel.

5. MichaelB

I apparently disagree with the majority and say it's too soon to say it.

If I dated a person for 3 months and they said they loved me, not only would it freak me out but it'd also make me question the sincerity of the relationship...

Sorry, just my opinion. >.>

6. MidnightOwl

May I ask as to why this would freak you out?

How does thisbreak a sense of sincerity in the relationship?

7. MichaelB

Would freak me out because truthfully, and I mean this in no way an insult to anyone, but it would make me question the emotional maturity of the person. I don't believe any person can develop feelings that quickly for someone and remain healthy emotionally.

I mean, if a person comes into your life and changes your life in the span of around 90 days, and you love them, then it would honestly infer to me that possibly your life wasn't healthy and you were missing something, and you're hoping that the other person will fill the void it's missing. I don't believe relationships should be the de factor in anybody's life, rather a relationship should compliment your life and not dictate it.

And that questions the sincerity of the relationship. I don't believe relationships should engulf a persons life, and the above scenario seems like one person has let it engulf their life already.

Sorry, I've re-read it over and over again and I know I sound really asshole-y and offensive, but it's just my opinion and I could of course be wrong. :slight_smile:

8. agreed.

9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't agree. I think it really depends on the relationship and the people involved. Some people have known each other for years and have been very close friends prior to getting into the relationship.
    Some people have already been through a lot together, even if they haven't known each other for years.

So to say it's always to soon after three months of officially being together, that I have to disagree with.

Now if you met someone not long before getting into the relationship, and it's an "ordinary" relationship sortof.. then I agree three months seems a little early to have developped such strong and sincere feelings for someone.

10. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everybody for your input :slight_smile: it really helps!

Michael B, you're certainly not an arse I asked for opinions, and you gave your honest feedback with valid reasoning. Thank you! I totally understand where you're coming from.

We were good friends for six months before we officially started dating. I guess I should have mentioned that in the original post.

I think I'm going to say it one day when she does something cute to test her reaction. Just say "that's so cute, I love you" and see if she catches it lol!

Though I think it's going to take me a while to muster up the courage just to say that... I'll keep you guysngirls up dated :slight_smile:

11. Jim

Jim

My girlfriend said she loved me before we were even officially dating. And before I had met her. It didn't affect our relationship at all. Just say it whenever you're ready.