1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future Scares Me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by worriedWardrobe, Dec 27, 2012.

1. worriedWardrobe

Since I've accepted my sexuality, I've been happier, for the most part. I've gotten a new confidence, new clothes, and I've told two of my closest friends (They're awesome, and completely supportive).

However, I feel a little bit... regretful, for lack of a better word. I feel like I've abandoned my old identity, and I feel lost. I don't know anything, anymore; everything is confusing to me, but what scares me to my core, is the future. I don't know what's going to happen day to day, let alone, in a few years.

Every time I think about the future I get this deep, overwhelming, feeling of terror. Does anyone else get this? Any advice?

2. MerBear

i get it. sorta. i don't know my sexuality but maybe i just am not accepting it....i don't know anymore. everything is confusing to me as well as i am questioning so i basically am questioning everything...and i just feel like i don't know anything anymore , like i was just born and brought into a world where i feel like i'll never understand any of it

3. worriedWardrobe

Exactly how I feel. I mean, I know that I like guys more than girls, but everything else is a mystery to me

4. MerBear

yeah , i get you then.
    i'd rather know and accept my sexuality and then have everything a mystery instead of not knowing my sexuality and not understand anything else

5. JohnJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is very similar to my experience. Since accepting my sexuality I too experienced a boost in confidence and a sense of loss for my "old" identity. However, lately I have been thinking about this a little bit differently. Instead of "abandoning" an old identity I see it now as more of an evolution from "old" to "new". The old isn't really gone, it has simply changed to more reflect the real me. Does that make any sense?

As far as the future goes. I agree it can be pretty scary. Especially when you first accept that you are gay. I think that you will come to realize as I have that there is a very large LGBT community out there. For every hater and bigot that you encounter I believe there are just as many if not more supportive, accepting, and caring people who will love you.

So, as scary as it is, I think our futures are going to be full of love, understanding, and good relationships with wonderful caring people we have yet to meet. The only way to go is forward. Good luck and please stay in touch.