1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be a "positive person"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tapsilog2012, Dec 27, 2012.

1. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

People always tell me Im too negative. How do I change my whole personality and become a "positive person"?

2. SomeNights

By changing what your looking at in life. IE: instad of saying "darn there's 6" of snow on the ground" I say "SWEET OFF ROADING TIME"

Once you start doing intentionally for a while it'll start to come naturally :slight_smile:

3. Gen

Gen

It depends on what you mean?

Personally, I am a brutally realistic person at heart. Its just about having a filter and knowing where the line is. If someone might need support in what they ask you, for instance a relationships, appearance, goals, than its probably best to lighten up on them.

If they are possibly doing something damaging or stupid, then that is the time to be brutally honest.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm often pessimistic, but I've learned to stop thinking negatively by telling myself to "Stop!" And it works only if I keep repeating it to myself over and over. You can also start by saying positive things to yourself "I'm pretty, smart, funny" or "It's beautiful outside, look at the blue sky and bright sun"...I know it sounds cheesy, but it works. Is there anything specific that you've noticed you're negative about?

5. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Im negative about myself. I tell myself (silently) that I hate myself many times a day, that Im a failure and a piece of garbage. It comes out in my outlook on life...I expect bad things to happen constantly and criticize everything I do. People really dont like me because Im like this. I drain everyone around me which makes people hate me.

I also had a hard upbringing, which people judge me for, so I need to learn to gloss things over and be more vague about it I guess, so when people ask me about the past it doesnt seem like Im "being negative".

6. SomeNights

sounds like you need a good rant to get it all out. So what makes you tell yourself that?

7. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, sounds like you're being too hard on yourself. When did this all start? And I can totally understand how misery loves company. Whenever you start putting yourself down, try saying/thinking something positive. I know you're a hard worker and you're courageous for being here and admitting this to yourself. That's the first step to getting help.