1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexuality phases?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheUglyBarnacle, Dec 28, 2012.

1. TheUglyBarnacle

I have almost concluded that I am bisexual. However, there's phases I go through. When I had started questioning it would be like: I prefer boys for a few days, then I prefer girls for a day or two.
    I had decided that I'm probably a 1 or 2 in the Kinsey scale and that I need no longer worry about it. Lately though, I've realised that I pay much more attention to girls and very little to guys. This has been going on for a week or so. It's like I'm a 4 or a 5.
    This is all very confusing for me. Is it some kind of transitioning stage or is it normal? I almost fell when I was ice-skating the previous day because I was checking out a girl.
    I sometimes feel like I'm forcing myself to like guys and at other times I feel like I'm forcing myself to like girls...

2. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's very, very common. As in, most bi people experience this to some extent. Some call it "ebb and flow," some want to rename bisexuality into some variant of "fluid sexuality" because of that, and yes, it can be confusing... It's also absolutely normal.

It may get more stable, and from what I can tell, it usually does in serious relationships, but it never really goes away. It's not "some phase" it's how this thing works...

3. zydrateaddict97

I am pretty much like you, sometimes prefering girls, sometimes preferring guys, depending on the day and my mood. In the end, I just decided I'll fancy whoever the hell I like, labelling/Kinsey numbering be damned.

4. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's normal. Don't try and force a preference onto yourself, just trust that you'll be attracted to the right guy/girl.

5. TheUglyBarnacle

Thank you guys. That's good to know. One last detail though: When I had started questioning I would never have so prolonged periods of having mostly homosexual urges. Is it because I've started to accept it more or because I really want to settle as straight or lesbian and I repress thoughts and feelings in order to achieve it? Which one sounds more likely?

6. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's hard to answer. I think that it's probably sign of better acceptance, it definitely was for me. The best I could advice is to give yourself some time to get used to it before jumping to any conclusions.

7. TheUglyBarnacle

Yeah, I guess you're right. The more I think about it, the more the thoughts about it being a phase reoccur. I'll just try to go with the flow however hard it is.

8. Rose2108

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's almost exactly how I feel. I'm still not entirely sure I'm bi or not, but I do think I am... So confused!

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about it. Perfectly normal. Even the times where there is the strange attraction to BOTH at the same time.