1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cut myself. I cut deeper than usual and i think its infected.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bluebird62, Dec 29, 2012.

1. bluebird62

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Last night i went into the bathroom and cut myself on my leg at least 7 times. One of the cuts are really deep and it looks infected. I covered it up and this morning and I put some antibacterial stuff on it. I don't want to tell my mum because shes already disappointed in me enough and if she gets anymore disappointed then I don't think I would be able to take it. I cant say my cat scratched me because there are way too many cuts. I'm freaking out. I cant tell anyone with out them telling my mum. Also if mum did find out then she would tell my dad who already hates me enough and would really like to disown me. If he found out he would probably really hate me and kick me out of the house. :help:

2. Saviour

Saviour Guest

(I used to self-harm, so this is from experience)

If the cut still looks infected by day 3, it's best to tell your mom. Yes, she'll be disappointed, but she'd rather have you safe than sorry.
    The first time I cut too deep, I hit a vein and I pick up enough strength to yell for my mom before I passed out from blood loss. She was disappointed with me, but she got me into therapy afterwards.
    Of course I didn't stop after that, it took another two years to stop, but it got better.

Your mom will love you no matter what, if it comes down to it, you don't want to end up in the hospital with a full body attack from an infection that could escalate. It's easier to just be open and honest about it that way you can get the help you need.

If your dad disowns you - that's his loss and his stupidity.

3. Suffocation

Okay, don't panic. Whatever you do, don't panic.
    Wear jeans. Jeans jeans jeans. no more shorts. Go to the store and buy some bandages, not band-aids, but something you can roll around your leg. I would keep reapplying antibacterial stuff every day. Put new bandages on everyday too.

Don't cut that deep next time, and if you really can, don't cut at all. But if you have too, only the surface.. please.

Oh, and you should probably tell your mother to get help if it gets really bad. (like what Saviour said.)

4. Saviour

Saviour Guest

Keeping the cut enclosed is the LAST thing she wants to do. It'll only help spread the infection faster.
    You need to keep a band-aid on it, and antibacterial, but do not wear jeans, leggings, etc over it. You can wear long shorts, even sweats, just nothing that'll press against your skin.

5. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Please seek therapy for this. I have been in a similar situation where I was a cutter and I was miserable. I ended up going to a shrink and that really helped. Once you get to the root of why you cut, you can build guidelines to help you stop. Its addictive and very unhealthy. Please please seek help of some kind for this.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree with this. In fact, I'd say don't even wear a band-aid if it's not really necessary.

7. Deaf Not Blind

If it is showing signs of infection it is very serious, don't wait 3 days. you can get gangrene it will spread and can loose your leg...or your life. My mom's cousin stepped on a nail, got infection and lost foot, then leg, then she died. Gangreen is serious stuff, and you don't get 1st shot in USA until age 15.

I think this time you have cut deep enough to need to seek help...and if mom don't get that she is part of the problem, maybe you can ask the counselor about living with somebody else.

8. Saviour

Saviour Guest

It depends on the cut, the way she's describing it sounds like something I've had before and turns out it wasn't infected, it was just deeper than normal and I didn't know how deeper cuts looked.
    To a self-harmer they're paranoid about infections,to a normal person a semi-deep cut and a deep cut would look the same, but to a self-harmer it could look so different they assume it's infected.
    Most of the time it's not infected, it's usually just more red and goes away in three days. Nearly every cut you get in your lifetime does it. That's why there's a three day mark, most doctors won't even treat it if it hasn't been three days if it's infected.

9. cloudburn

Seriously! My dad lost his leg to gangrene. It's no joke.

10. olin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your health and safety are what's important here. If you can't ask your mom for help, ask someone, even if it means going to the hospital yourself. Ultimately, however, you will need your mom's support, and I suspect she will be much more concerned about your health than anything else.