1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mom says teachers can't be gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wilted, Dec 29, 2012.

1. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    So, I just came out to my mom. Her response was "well, teachers can't be gay." I'm in college studying Elementary and Special Education. Apparently, she thinks that I won't get a job because I'm gay. God, I hope that's not true. I really hope I can find a school where people are not homophobic and will be accepting of my sexual orientation. Can anyone give me some advice on whether or not this should be a legitimate fear? Also, how should I respond to people that say "teachers can't be gay?"

2. MerBear

that's not true. my elementary teacher was gay , i know many teachers who are gay and if they don't let you become a teacher because of your sexual orientation , it's discrimination so you can file a lawsuit i would think

and on how to respond , just be like "fuck off" and walk the other way , that's what i do. works all the time

just smile and kindly tell them to fuck off. ignorant people these days

3. marcos220000

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, they don't have to know at your work if you don't want to..

4. wilted

I love your response :roflmao:! I basically told my mom that in 2012 people are less homophobic than they were when she was growing up.

5. FunnyMonkey

unfortunately I would say yes if your looking at private religious school.
    All of us will not get a job because of something don't let it worry you.

Do I think you'll find a school where people are not homophobic YES. Don't let someone tell you, you can't do something. At the elementary school in my town their are a few gay people, but I'm in a gay friendly area.

EDIT.
    Congratulations on coming out!!!

6. MerBear

haha yeah but that's always what i do when people piss me off.
    these 2 guys in my class were bothered me and i was like
    "how about you just fuck off? hmm how about that?" in the calmest tone and turned around

they didn't bother me after that. my motto next year is

"fuck it or fuck off"

7. aeva

Quite honestly, I think you're always going to encounter a parent or two that doesn't want their child to be have a gay teacher, because there will always be homophobic people out there. But there's absolutely nothing saying you aren't ALLOWED to be a teacher. Furthermore, there's nothing that says you have to disclose your sexuality to your employer, or your students unless you want to.

I've had quite a few gay and lesbian teachers over the years, and nobody has caused a problem for them, but I do live in a very liberal area.

8. Tiny Catastrophe

That's ridiculous. My favorite professor in college is gay and he was an amazingggg professor. And it was quite obvious he was gay so I don't think that really makes a bit of difference to the people hiring.

9. speedracing22

I've had gay teachers - both men and women.

10. MerBear

still i mean if they won't let her be a teacher because of her sexual orientation , that's clear discrimination and she can file a lawsuit for that.

they can ban gay marriage all they want but they have no right to deny someone who wants to be a teacher because of their sexual orientation

and i agree with with the private school thing too

11. Throwawayy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with FunnyMonkey: It may be more difficult to be accepted at a private religious school if you disclose your sexuality.

However, I don't think there will be much of an issue in terms of employment. There may be some minor issues with students and fellow faculty members if you disclose your sexuality, however (depending on the area of the country you plan to be teaching in).

On another note, if you're in a homosexual relationship at the time of your employment and feel legitimately threatened by it, perhaps you should turn on stealth-mode and use terms like "partner" or "significant other" or something gender-neutral.

It most likely will not be an issue though. You're mother (like most) seems to just be worried and concerned for your well-being and career.

12. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a teacher...gainfully employed in a middle school teaching English. So, nope. Unless you're looking to work in a Catholic or private school, I don't think it's a problem. :slight_smile: Let me know if I can help with anything, BTW...I LOVE my job, and I'd be happy to help out anyway I can. :slight_smile:

13. ohhsnapple

ohhsnapple Guest

You will be a fine teacher! Don't let your mom discourage you, there will always be someone out there that disapproves of what you're doing and thinks they have a better idea of how you should live your life!

You're also doing elementary Ed, your little ones will love you! They haven't learned to be bigots yet, and you could be a wonderful example for them.

14. wilted

I don't want to work at a religious or private school just a public elementary school :slight_smile:

15. MerBear

then i think you'll be fine.
    good luck :slight_smile:

16. FunnyMonkey

I agree deny someone who wants to be a teacher because of their sexual orientation that's clear discrimination, but they are not going to say that to her face. And if they don't say it, it's hard going to be hard to prove it. I'm not saying it's right , but it's true.

17. Zontar

Gay women should have no trouble finding work at a public elementary school.

Men on the other hand have it hard enough on that front whether they're gay or straight, thanks to the typecasting of all adult men as pedophiles.

So the answer is no, teachers can be gay, just as long as they're not men. Who are rarely, if ever, hired as elementary school teachers to begin with. :icon_conf

18. MerBear

yeah but they have to give her a reason she was denied , they can't just not tell her...
    and a good reason at that ...that's whats hard for them , to come up with a good reason to deny her. it definitely has to be logical or else...it's going to be overlooked

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2012 at 06:38 PM ----------

yeah it is kind of hard for men , i would say...an elementary teacher i knew was gay though and he was always happy haha

19. redstormrising

Discrimination is only illegal when you are part of a legally protected class. LGBT is NOT a protected class under US federal law. So, unless state law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation (which many states' laws do NOT), then the school actually can legally fire or refuse to hire a teacher just for being gay - meaning there are no grounds for a lawsuit.

20. animequeen567

I had a teacher that used to be a drug addict, the drugs messed with his brain so he was a little slow and everyone could tell, and he was a teacher. I also had a bipolar teacher that threw desks and got really angry with the students very often. I'm sure you could be a teacher if those people became teachers.