1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying shrooms

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ICTOAUN, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ICTOAUN

i want to try shrooms. i told my girlfriend to give her a heads up. she doesnt like it when i smoke weed so i thought i would let her know about shrooms to give her a mental prep. she didnt take it well. at all. she says she doesnt want a girlfriend who does drugs and that i can just break up with her if im going to do them.. i think she has a very bad idea about doing mushrooms. she thinks it lasts 12-15 hours and that the next day all u do is sleep and you can see the devil the entire trip and stuff. she says she has known people who have been hospitalized from shrooms. i did my research and it really only lasts 5-8 hours. and if you take a low dose you are most likely to giggle a lot and see beautiful colors and stuff. i dont know what to do because i still really want to do shrooms but i also dont want my girlfriend to leave me. i feel like she is kind of giving me an ultimatum and i dont like that. i want the freedom to experience whatever i want with out feeling controlled. is it worth it? i would really appreciate your thoughts guys <3 thank you.(*hug*)
    also ive been with her for 4 yrs and i honestly plan on marrying this girl. so its tough..

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, what is more important? A temporary high or losing your girlfriend of 4 years? Personally I can see her point of view since I wouldn't want my partner doing any kind of drug either. But it is your body and your choice. You just have to decide what you want more.

3. Suffocation

Drugs are bad for you!

Kidding, I'd be careful with shrooms. I heard they are pretty powerful. I'd also like to mention that you should listen to your girlfriend. If you love, (like I mean really love) her, then you should try to follow what she wants. You can give up drugs, it isn't that hard. (Unless, you have an addiction, then go get some help.)

4. I'm with the girlfriend on this. I just don't see any ethical/productive/moral/financial/social/health gain from doing drugs, and I'd be just as turned off by a partner who partakes in such activities as, it seems, your girlfriend does. But if you wanna partake, then be prepared to confront an upset girlfriend.

5. Deaf Not Blind

great...you wan a try more and more drugs...and that gets you? Lost gf, no wife...maybe you will not become addict, maybe you already are and need a better high, if you have to really ask is it worth tripping once to lose her and your future, u must need help. girl, u not thinking. if she were here id advise her to go...let you do drugs alone.

6. Suffocation

There's a gain from drugs.

Moral? It's very spiritual, if you do it the right way. (I mean, not smoking weed with friends becauses it cool, but more of a Bob Marley sort of way, lol.)

Social? I mean, if you count making friends with other pot heads a social gain.

Financial? maybe if you are selling.

health gain? maybe that realization of what is actually important in life after you step out of a rehab center.

7. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Come on dude. Drugs?! You dont need them to be happy. Your gf sounds amazing. Focus on her instead of weed and shrooms.

8. SFSorrow

I can understand the desire to try shrooms. I won't lie, I found them fun the one time that I tried them so take this as the voice of experience, they're definitely not worth more than your girlfriend if you're serious about her. They're not that amazing.

9. Night Rain

Seriously, you're not helping.

And no, please don't do any kind of drugs.

10. Trailblazer

I go by if its natural I will probably try it, so pot, mushrooms, salvia were all things I wanted to try. Really they are pretty fun, but if your girlfriend is showing that much concern I'm sure you can do without them. It's not the huge deal some people are letting on though, its not like your going to go to rehab for doing mbushrooms and your not a bad person just for being curious to try them.

11. MichaelB

Disagree with the majority here and say...

If my partner gave me an ultimatum, I wouldn't respond well. I value freedom above all else, so someone restricting that freedom is a big no no for me.

I mean, where does it end? First she doesn't want you to do drugs, then maybe she doesn't want you to do x scenario too, and then y scenario, and before you know it you're living a life with plenty of regrets because of someone else, which will only cause resentment.

If you're responsible and mature about your approach to drugs, then it reduces the risk by a lot. The only drug/s I really, really disapprove of are heroin and to a lesser extent cocaine (although I do know a few friends who only do cocaine once or twice a year, for the big occasions like New Years Eve, and are perfectly mature and responsible about it.).

This site seems kinda bias in it's approach to substance intake not gunna lie; you mention you smoke or drink and you get a fair amount of people condemning you for it. Let alone mentioning drugs haha.

12. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My two cents....

You say you've been with her for four years and want to marry her. You just need to figure out what's more important.

I won't give the lecture on mushrooms. I haven't done them in years but have done them several times. No regrets.

13. BudderMC

Ultimatums are powerful tools, and most people don't usually just throw them around 'just because'. People hit an ultimatum when strong opinions/values/beliefs clash - in this case, your girlfriend wants you to know that you're really important to her, but also holds the belief that doing drugs is something she doesn't want in her life. In a sense, it's an act of desperation; she poses the question in hopes that you'll realize the option she believes is more important (your relationship) is actually more important to you as well.

My point is, if she's giving you an 'ultimatum', it's because it's a serious topic and she wants you to really think about what you're doing without outright telling you what you should be doing. She's effectively trying to avoid being controlling by unintentionally being manipulative.

I don't believe that one ultimatum is a gateway to a lifetime of ultimatums. You only have to live with regret if you make the decision you aren't comfortable with. Weigh for yourself what it is you truly want, as with all decisions. And of course, communicate with your girlfriend. Don't turn it into an argument, but discuss what each of you are feeling and see if you can come up with a compromise - it's a good way to avoid regret.

A big reason is because nobody wants to condone substance intake. Yes, people can be responsible about it, but with so many underage members running around it's not a topic that should be actively encouraged.

Beyond that, I know I personally have a strong aversion to substance use, having grown up in a house with an alcoholic. People have personal reasons for their opinions.

14. cloudburn

You can't go wrong with shrooms, or marijuana for that matter. Both are all au naturale, non-habit forming, and great stress relievers. There is NOTHING in either drugs that make you physically or mentally dependant on them. NOTHING. I would just suggest sitting her down and discussing why you want to try mushrooms (although I would reccomend paoti over shrooms anyday!) Your gf is right though, come people do trip for 12-15 hours. Depends on your body, how much you eat/drink etc. But think of it this way, would she rather you try a drug that grows nauturally, or become addicted to cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine etc. I mean the list of dangeous, addictive, deadly drugs goes on and on.

15. DhammaGamer

Mushrooms are less toxic than aspirin according to the world health organization. They are nothing to be trifled with, however. Mushrooms are honestly nothing nothing compared to a healthy and loving relationship. Don't throw that away just so you can experiment with hallucinogens.

16. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drugs tend to warp or destabilize the users personality, usually only temporary, but some nastier ones can have long-term behavioral changes. Either way, it's not unreasonable for a partner to be upset by the use of drugs. I'm not entirely against the responsible use of relatively safe drugs (despite all of the scare tactics in school programs, drugs such as LSD have no known reasonable overdose point (a level of consumption that would not be completely insane), the side-effects are minimal, it's not fat soluble so no long term effects), as I think they might allow one to experiment with interesting frames of mind; however, I would experiment discreetly with a friend, not openly in front of my partner or parents.

I'll put it this way, I advise against doing "hard" drugs, since A) it's difficult to get clean drugs (they're often mixed with cheaper, more dangerous drugs) B) I believe it's weak, to use chemicals as a shortcut to feelings that you should work for (working for those feelings is what gives meaning to life, in my opinion). If all you're doing is experimenting, well, it's not terrible. However, your girlfriend is within her right to be upset by you being a drug user, and from your mentality, it doesn't sound like you're looking to just experiment, but to progress to stronger effects. Starting with pot, now you're moving to shrooms; you're following the gateway drug pattern of progression. If you really only want to try them, rather than start using them regularly, well, I'd say go ahead as long as you know their safe. Just leave your girlfriend out of it. However, if you're unsure of whether you'll start using them frequently, I would seriously question whether a cheap feeling is worth more than your girlfriend.

17. darlig ulv

If you really care about her, and want to be with her, you might want to respect her interests. You've already spent four years with her so you obviously have something special, ask yourself if you want to throw that all away because of something so silly, you'll probably be happier with a lifetime with her than with an eight-hour high

18. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Your girlfriend is worried about you and it seems like you don't even care enough to notice. If she means anything to you at all, then don't intentionally go and do them and subsequently hurt her in the process. It would be kinder to break up with her.

19. Salazar

I see your two arguments, but I completely disagree with yours. Firstly, drugs are unhealthy. You are destroying your body, aiding drug supply and demand and breaking the law all at once. Triple points! Your girlfriend obviously isn't happy with you taking drugs, but she perseveres. I really don't think it's right for her to be the only one making the sacrifices. I can understand that you want your freedom, and I'm not saying you shouldn't, but at this point you do have to make a choice. Stay with her and don't eat your whimsical fungi, or take your drugs and give her up, because, frankly, it's unfair on her.

There are other ways to express your freedom, e.g. paint yourself gold and dance around naked at the equinox. I can understand that you don't want to be caged in, but, unfortunately, you have to make compromises for the success of a relationship. If you want to remain with her, you need firstly not to take your fantasmagorical toadstools, and secondly stop taking drugs altogether. You'll be a happier, healthier individual for it.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are two issues:

1. Your girlfriend does not want a girlfriend who does drugs. End of story. If I were in a relationship, I would feel the same. THere's no need, plenty of risks, and pretty much nothing to be gained. You can rationalize a million reasons to do it, but in the end you're at the classic crossroads that people who use drugs have: Whether to choose the drugs, or your loved ones. This isn't about an ultimatum; it's simply your girlfriend setting a boundary that's important to her. If doing whatever drugs are more important to you than your girlfriend's feelings and your relationship... go ahead. If your girlfriend is more important than the shrooms (or any other drugs), then give them up. It's that simple. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

2. The people saying there's no risk and no problem are full of shit. While plenty of people have used shrooms (and smoked weed, and done various other drugs) without problems, there are also plenty who have had serious issues. I know someone who had a psychotic break during a mushroom trip. He'd been apparently completely stable beforehand, but was utterly psychotic after using shrooms. He ended up having to be hospitalized for a couple of weeks, and, honestly, he's never been quite the same since. And weed, even though legal in two states, still causes a tremendous amount of heartache, broken relationships, lost productivity, and pain for many people. Both are unnecessary.

But ultimately, if having someone tell you what's important to them in a relationship is too much restriction for you, perhaps you're better off alone so you can do whatever you want and take whatever risks you want without having to consider anyone else's feelings.