1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stalked by a straight woman

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by blondie, Dec 30, 2012.

1. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a gay woman who's been being stalked by a straight woman for the last two years. It's really taken it's toll on me emotionally and I feel really depressed a lot of the time now.

The hardest part is that she's been stalking me through my family and friends -- endlessly keeping tabs on where I am and what I'm doing. I tried to talk with people about it, but everyone just kept denying it was going on, so at this point I've basically cut a lot of people out of my life and am feeling really lonely.

I'm talking to a therapist and I've gotten legal advice. I'm wondering if anyone here has every experienced something similar or has any insights into the situation or any advice about how to emotionally deal with it all. Thanks.

2. Pat

Pat

Hm, that's a strange twist. Where did you meet her and have you ever tried doing the same? Lol. I mean, it's not necessarily a good idea to fight fire with fire if you feel like she's really unstable.. What were the circumstances involving how you met? I'll ask my buddy Frank, he's on here also. He's had a stalker for a couple years now also. And he copes pretty well with it I guess..

3. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I worked for her -- she ran the small non-profit I worked at. The stalking started when I left and started applying for jobs elsewhere. So the legal help I'm getting relates to the fact she was giving me undeserved bad references.

How do you think I should do the same to her? I had a facebook account (which I deleted) which is how she contacted all my friends. She doesn't have one though so I wouldn't know how to do the same to her...?

4. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That'd be awesome if u can ask yr friend Frank for help and how he deals with it... Thnxs.

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So what exactly does the stalking entail, does she just ask everyone about you to keep a track of you, does she follow you around?
    How long has she been stalking you for?

6. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah - exactly, asking everyone to keep track of me. Constantly.

There's no physical following although she was 'cyberstalking' me through my iphone before I realized what was going on and turned off all the gps features.

She's been constantly in touch with people I live with too -- like roommates and housemates, even though I've moved 3 times trying to make it stop. Finding out when I'm home, when I'm out etc.

It might not sound threatening because there's no physical following but it's been going on for two years and is way beyond just creepy and weird to the point where it feels like psychological abuse...

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sorry I didnt mean to make it sound like I was making out to sound less serious, it doesnt matter if its physical or not its still unnerving and scary.

Do you actually have contact with her? When you said you tried talking to other people about it but they dismiss it, what did you say and what did they say?

Does she know you are gay?

8. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much - I know you weren't saying that. I appreciate the support. It is really scary and unnerving.

When I tried to talk to people about it, they just tried to minimize it. Like, when I said I thought she was a stalker they'd say she was just a 'mystery woman', and that I should try to think positively about it. (No idea what exactly I'm supposed to think about it is positive...)

Or they'd say I was being paranoid and that because she wasn't physically threatening me that I shouldn't be worried about it.

Yes, she knows I'm gay.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well im just going to throw it out there that perhaps she has a crush on you. I know you said she was straight and im very possibly wrong but its just the first thing that came to my mind.

So is her only connection to these people that she stalks you though you. She doesnt know any of them?
    Do you still have any form of contact with her?

10. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I've been thinking for a while -- that she probably does have a crush on me. And at first I thought she'd get in touch or do *something* ... anything. But it's just been nothing but stalking for such a long time that it feels like a weird fixation or obsession or something, you know. I mean, most stalkers probably think they are in love with whoever they're stalking... but its a totally destructive way to be and I just dont know what to do about it anymore.

Yeah, her only connection to these people is through me -- they were my friends, none of whom she knew previously. I don't have any other contact with her. There was 1 person that we were mutual friends with on facebook but I deleted my account a long time ago when this all started.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you ever confront her about it?

12. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No because I don't have a way of contacting her.

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you if you could? (not that im saying you should or shouldnt, just wondering).
    How does she contact your friends?

14. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont know if I would. I mean, I've been reading a lot online about how to deal with stalking and the 'experts' all seem to say that its best not to because that just encourages them. Why - what do you think I should do?

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am definitely no expert so im not suggesting you take my advice. Im also not 100% sure if I would be able to go through with it if it were me in that situation but it tempts me to say if you got in contact with her then there could be the possibility of trying to get to the route of the problem, I mean so far ignoring her hasnt really worked, sounds like she hasnt got worse but it hasnt gone away either.
    Im not saying it would work and there is always the potential for making things worse I guess. I think I would be more inclined if I could communicate with her via facebook or email or something non face to face but sounds like thats not possible.

16. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate u taking the time to help sort it out... It feels like a big mess that's been hanging over me for forever so getting a fresh perspective is definitely a big help. You're definitely right that trying to ignore her hasn't worked at all... So, what would you say?

17. scouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Such a difficult situation to be in, I feel for you. I'm not surprised it's taking it's toll, it needs to stop. Stalking is a highly intimidating and intrusive behaviour. The harm is psychological and it is considered quite a serious offence, at least in the UK anyway. The difficulty is she appears to be doing it by way of third parties so it is hard to get proof. I do wonder why your friends are passing such information to her. If someone was using me to keep checks on a friend I'd tell them to mind their own business! Legally, have you been advised as to whether she could be prosecuted, or more likely, warned? I'd definitely see a solicitor re having a letter sent to her warning her off if possible.

18. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you say you sort legal advice? If so what did they say?

Is it all your friends she stalks you through, or just a select few?

19. blondie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much for the support. It means so much to me.

Yeah, it's been really difficult. And yeah the hardest part has been the fact that people I've thought of as good friends for 10+ years aren't helping at all -- not giving me any emotional support and really doing just the opposite by responding like there's something wrong with me for letting it upset me. It's made me really retreat from any social interactions and has made me feel really depressed and isolated because I don't feel like there's anyone I can trust.

The UK definitely seems way ahead of where we are in the US about it. All the really helpful information I've found online has been from UK agencies. It's been really helpful - especially just to feel normal and to know that my reactions are normal...

When I started to pursue any legal remedies I was first steered in the direction of employment law because it's involved her interfering with my work situation. So I am pursuing that ... but the wheels of justice move incredibly slowly....

I've moved to a rural place just to try to have some peace and quiet and my plan is that once the employment law stuff is more resolved to move back into the city. So before I do that, I think I'll definitely talk to a lawyer to see what can be done to make sure it stops. My fear is just that, as u said, since there's no proof, it might be difficult but, as u suggested, I'll see if I can't get some kind of warning sent to her to try to hopefully make it stop.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

I did seek legal advice. The advice was that I should first pursue the employment matters because she's been interfering with my job. She's not only been giving me bad references but got me fired from a job I had for 2 months. I've filed suit against that employer for breach of contract because they fired me unjustly with no cause. The advice from the lawyer was to sue them and see if they admitted that it was because of her that they fired me. So far they haven't done that. The trial is in a month and my lawyers thinks we have a good case though so, hopefully, I should either get evidence of her interfering in my job situation or, if not, will at least get a monetary award from the company that fired me with no cause (fingers crossed).

It's been pretty much all of my friends that she stalks me through. Well, all of the people I was friends with on facebook, which is pretty much everyone. There were a few people that I was friends with a long time ago that I never was friends with on facebook and those seem to be the only people who's friendships haven't been affected. So I've been in touch with a few of those people.

20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When was the last time you tried to talk to any of your friends about it?