1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TishonHeart, Dec 30, 2012.

1. TishonHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So erm... I kinda came out to my mother recently... She kinda seemed okay with me, but then my step father had to come in, and hear what I said, and what he did I kinda feel bad about, he said that I am basically his step daughter or something now, and that if a guy breaks my heart he feels obligated to beat him up or something... I mean I am okay with them knowing I am gay.... But him treating me like I am just a little girl? I may act feminine sometimes, but if that really what he thinks of me? He's even trying to turn my mother against me...

Does anyone know how I might explain things to him to make him stop? I hate going to her house just because of how he treats me...

2. MrAwkward

MrAwkward Guest

It's good to hear that your mother and step father seem to be okay with the fact that you're gay. I think it's rather touching to hear your step father say something like that, he obviously cares about you. But yeah, it must be annoying that he feels the need to treat you like a girl because of your sexuality... I mean.. gay male =/= girl!! (I would be annoyed too)

Have you told him how you feel about it and he keeps acting this way anyway? If you haven't then that'll be the first thing you need to do. You could tell him how you appreciate the support but wish for him to treat you like he would have otherwise if he didn't know. If you already have, then you should try again but with a more assertive tone and make sure he realises how uncomfortable he is making you feel. Good luck!

P.S Sorry if this advice is terrible, I usually don't give advice to others because I never know what to say, but I really do want to help people!

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just sit him down and tell him liking guys doesn't mean you're switching chromosomes. Otherwise, I'm very happy to hear they are even mildly supportive. (*hug*)

4. TishonHeart

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I have done that, and it doesn't help, I've done it about 3 times actually.. And I don't really think that he supports me that much, because he keeps saying "Just wait, if a girl touches you down there, you won't be so gay" well erm, yeah pretty much if anything even barely touches it with any guy it's going to get hard :/ But he it feels like he is trying to make me straight or something, not really support me...

5. MrAwkward

MrAwkward Guest

Hmm.. okay, I guess I misunderstood, sorry! He sounds rather ignorant about homosexuality and I guess he just doesn't know how to deal with it properly. Do you think talking to your mother could help? Maybe she can get through to him.