1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP !! advice on helping my 14yr old nephew with who he is and how to act

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ScaredAunt, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ScaredAunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have a nephew that is well lets just say we have known for awhile now that he may be gay. Well he came out to me and i have been helping him with his parents and other family members not so open to his new admission. Well on his birthday he says to my sister ..Aunt Sandie can i tell you something she told him anything babe, He said did aunt Robin (me ) tell you that I am gay, she said to him no she did not but you are not telling me something that I did not already know. It makes no difference to me if you are gay or straight, black or white. I love you the same now as yesterday. He said ok and they left it at that she did not want to push the subject. Later that night she talked to me and i told her that he has been telling everyone and expecting the worse reaction. Well lets skip ahead a month and when my sister sees him next he tells her aunt sandie there is a boy at this party that I like and I want to ask him out. her first response was gonna be your 14 you dont need a boyfriend the same response she would have givin one of her sons. she stopped and yes she was guilty of telling him what she thought he wanted to hear. she said well thats nice and she will have to meet him later. Skip ahead a few more days and my sister tells me that he said that to her and i tell her he has been acting very inappropriate with other kids. I think this is more to do with his lack of understanding about what is expected of him as a young man and less to do with what is expected out of him as a gay young man. I think to myself do I have to seperate the two or treat him as I would any other young man who would act this way. I have this conversation with my sister and we both said we should never treat him different just because he is gay but make sure he knows that this behavior is not right for a young man. My questions is this to anyone? Should his parents( who by the way are not concerned with this whole thing that are hoping its just a phase he is going thru and will snap out of it and start likeing girls) get him a life couch or someone to talk to about his coming out, my thoughts are he needs someone to help him muddle his way thru being a teenager gay or straight. your thoughts?.. i am trying my best to help him with this i love this boy like he is my own i am just a loss.. so i am reaching out for any advice i can get on how to get him to realize being gay is not who you are but what u do in your bed room.. he is acting very wrong with other young men who are not gay.. i am so at a loss that im affraid for his safety because right now i have him in this safe little bubble but i cant be around him at all times and am scared that he will run across someone that will not just turn him down politely buy will hit first and ask questions later.. so any help would be great ...:help:

2. RainbowMan

I think that you probably need to talk to his parents, and assure them that this is not a "phase" that he will grow out of. Lifelong damage will come from that (I speak from experience - I'm just beginning to accept who I am, and that's the hardest part).

As for his behavior, I'm not sure what the bad behavior is - is it inappropriately hitting on other guys? If so, I'd treat him exactly as if he were inappropriately hitting on girls. Inappropriate is inappropriate, period.

In short, I wouldn't treat him any different than a normal 14-year-old boy. But I'm not a parent (and there are plenty on here), so perhaps take my advice with a grain of salt :grin:

Welcome to EC, I'm sure you'll find it's a welcoming and helpful community!!!!

3. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wait...I reread the whole post twice. I am still looking for the inappropriate behavior? Is it because he wanted to ask another 14 year old out?

4. ScaredAunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

as far as the bad behavior well he gets online and i know he is trying to figure this whole thing out but lets just say this is anormal covo for him..... hi my name is kurt im gay.. are you gay? if they say yes then he procedds to want to talk about sex and then after about five min he asks if they want to have sex with him.. !! i try to explain to him that in any event gay or stright i will whip his ever loving ass if he does that again.. lol.. but i think he thinks that thats how gay people act.. i dont know how to get thru to him that it isnt how a human being acts ya know

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2012 at 07:35 PM ----------

no not because he wanted to ask another 14 yr old out but after the kid told him he wasnt gay that he kept doing it and making the other boy feel strange.. like telling him are u sure u dont wanna try it or are u sure u dont wanna have sex and he only knew the boy 1 hr..

5. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think you did the right thing by coming to Empty Closets. Kudos on being an awesome Aunt!!!

You're right. That is definitely inappropriate behavior.

I hope he doesn't behave like that in school. That could put him in a lot of trouble.

My only suggestion is to direct him here to Empty Closets. He's safe since the staff and the owners have very strict security. He will learn how to behave as a gay young man and know what is acceptable and what is not. He can talk to kids his own who are going through the same things as he is.

I wish I could be of more help. :frowning2:

6. ScaredAunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    no not that he asked the kid out .. but after the kid said he wasnt gay he kept on him about it and kept asking him are u sure u dont want to try it and stuff like that he made the other kid feel very uncomfortable to the point the kid asked his parents if it was ok if he left the party.. i just dont know how to get thru to him that this isnt ok no mater if he is stright or gay .. any advice? i feel like im banging my head against a wall :bang:

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2012 at 08:11 PM ----------

thank you so much i think i am going to do that thanks again

7. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not sure if you'd want to use the scare tactic but this is the Federal Government's web page about Sexual Harassment .

If he behaves that way at school, he could not only be subject to suspension or expulsion....but he could face charges.

I'm hoping I'm not scaring you because I know you are already concerned about your nephew but in a way, this could easily become a very serious matter. It would be better to get in under control now before something serious happens.

8. ScaredAunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    your not telling me something i havent already thought of.. honestly i think he needs a strong gay male mentor to help him thru this to tell him that how he is acting is wrong because he thinks his stright aunt dosnt know how a gay man should act!! i tried to tell him it dosnt matter if your gay or stright you dont act like a perv.. he just laighs and shakes his head..

9. revi

revi Guest

You need to seriously send him here and perhaps this thread so hew KNOWS you don't go crazy just because your gay. He needs to know that is not how you act just because your gay. I am one year older than him so he can't say I'm old or something and I know that is ridiculous behavior. So yeah it would be best to show him this or let him have a "chat" with one of the people that will set him right.

10. ScaredAunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    yeah i think u are right im going to show him this tomorrow.. thanks guys