1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a mess right now. Feeling hopeless. :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Stridenttube, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

So I recently started a new job working in IT. The first week I found out one of my co workers was gay and was sort of becoming friends with him and everything was good, but he told me that our boss was very homophobic and that he was out to him and there was a lot of tension between them. I just found out last Friday that he had been fired. You can probably guess why. I'm so afraid that ill be next to go if anyone finds out.

Ive been dwellimg on it all weekend. The stress is killing me right now, I was depressed before this happend and now I'm about to completely lose it. It's like I'm going out of my way to make people feel like shit and today was particularly bad. I'm angry all of the time now. Today I almost deleted my account on this site, just because. It's like I don't care anymore, I'm just making other people miserable because I can. :bang:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, do you have any contact information for the guy who got let go? It'd be nice to send him some sort of encouraging message.

Secondly, if you're not out to anybody else at work yet, you won't need to worry. Just focus on work at work. If things start feeling uncomfortable there, you can start looking for another job.

Lex

3. Wndy

Wndy Guest

Depending on where you live, and the exact situation, your former coworker might be able to take legal action. I know where I live it's illegal to fire someone for their sexual orientation, but of course employers can find other excuses and it's hard to prove in court. :frowning2:

In your shoes I'd start looking for another job. But if you aren't out at work then you probably don't have to worry immediately, so long as you keep your work and personal lives separate.

4. dazedanconfused

First and foremost, nowhere is it written that anyone has to know who and what your attracted to. Whether your a homosexual, bisexual, or a wooden door-sexual! This is a case of principles before personalities. Just take it in strides.

I'll tell you this, anyone I discuss my sexuality with is my business and personally I don't feel compelled to have to have a confession with everyone I meet. All in all, screw your boss(please forgive my verbiage) and do your job. Remember, check ego at the door and make your money. This is your livelihood.

Although, I do agree with the person above to extend words of support/encouragement to the person who got fired but even be careful in that situation. Unless this person knows your gay there's no need to complicate your situation in order to make this other person feel better. Not that your former coworker has any ill feelings toward you just be careful.