1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kiltrout, Dec 31, 2012.

1. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I guess most of you have seen numerous of these topics, but they are advice for a personal issue so a new one seems appropriate. After thinking about it for the past two months, I have decided come out to my best friend. She is currently a college student in NYC and is off for holiday break. I've been waiting to do this in person, but I'm starting to question if I should do it as a letter. I'm not necessarily scared of her reaction because she is very tolerant when it comes to homosexuality. However, I think the announcement will come as a surprise. What do you guys and gals think? Should I send her a letter (we write each other letters quite often) or should I invite her to dinner and then just spill out the confession there?

Happy new year to all,
    Kilgore Trout (&&&)

2. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I did it in person...and although it was ridiculously stressful and took me forEVER to actually say the words...I'm so glad I did. Her genuine, accepting, supportive reaction- that I got to see in person- was well worth the stress involved. Once I finally got the words out of my mouth, she grabbed my hand, smiled, and then hugged me in the tightest hug ever. It was so comforting, and it made me feel MILES better about what I had just done. I've only done this three times now...once was online, once was to my therapist, and then with her; it was the most affirming and relieving with her because I was there to see and experience her genuine reaction.

If you know that you're picking a supportive person who will react in a positive way, I'd say go for it in person. You'll feel so good after.

Good luck! (*hug*)

3. Pat

Pat

Girls usually know if you spend enough time around them. One would reason that you have never been attracted to her in a way that was sexual, therefore there must be something wrong with you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol.. In seriousness, I think while it's the most personal thing you can share with a friend, it really does tell you a good deal about the company you keep. I went from just liking certain people to loving them, and without a doubt in my mind I would protect them if I needed to. It's a great stepping stone for any friendship, if she's a genuine friend, it's only going to bring the two of your closer.

4. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I'm not sure if she has ever noticed. I'm very concealing about it and even talk about attraction to some women in order to cover it up at times.

5. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Well, I have to wait a week to tell her since I'm in Berlin, Germany right now and she is in the US. I did tell her through facebook that I had something important to tell her about.

6. Robin Vote

In person is my vote. See the initial shock, if there is any, and have no doubts about her response. Not that you should

Nice username btw =D

7. shovelman

It's much better to say it in person trust me and if you get a good reaction (which I assume that yes because you're friend sounds really open minded) it even makes all the more comforting :slight_smile:

8. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Did it today and it went swell. We have been talking most of the night through text. We are skyping later tonight once she is done flying. I'm so happy! :slight_smile: I posted a topic about it in the Coming Out Stories subforum.