1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I turning straight? What is going on?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Caudex, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Some preliminary facts: I'm 17, and I still haven't hit puberty at all. That is not just to gross you out or give TMI, it's important.

Ever since my friends started puberty at ages 11 to 13, they've gone from "girls have cooties" to "I would f:***::***::***: any female." That's literally what they say. And I've always felt left behind. Because I wasn't attracted to women at all. But when I turned 15, I hit upon a perfect solution--I must be gay! It made sense; of course I wouldn't be that attracted to men either because I was societally predisposed to not do that and it would come with time. So I haven't told anyone, but I was pretty sure. But I just visited the doctor, and she prescribed testosterone shots to help me hit puberty. And it's starting to happen; I finally have pubic hair and all of that. But what's scaring me a little is that I'm starting to be attracted to women for the first time. Could I have just made a huge mistake?

2. Krissy

It's not a problem to be questioning your sexuality. Really, if you haven't told anyone (even if you had) it's not that hard to admit you might've made a mistake. It's not a concrete decision, just don't be super flippant about it. That will definitely give you a bad reputation as flighty.

Are you scared of being straight? Sorry if that's a personal question. The way your request is formed, it sounds kind of like you're heterophobic. It's not a problem at all. It's not a life choice, per se. It's just a personality quirk inside of us that sometimes takes time to show itself.

Unless you really want *ahem* intercourse or something immediately, don't sweat it. Wait it out until the testosterone shots stop overloading your system, and try to think about how you react to different people. Relax and stay friends with anyone you're attracted to!

3. Ditz

Hi Caudex... I recon you shouldn't stress too much about your sexuality, just go with what you are feeling and where ever you end up you will end up.

Reading your post reminded me of prepubescent boys going eeeeuw when you tell them that one day they will want to hold a girls hand... Puberty basically changes that, the minute your sex hormones get turned on by puberty you start noticing people you are sexually attracted to... Before puberty you don't have such a strong sexual urge because you don't have that much testosterone in your body.

So relax, you might very well be straight, you might also be bi or gay, only time will tell what you are sexually attracted to which is something your busy finding out now.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you didn't hit puberty until 17, I'd imagine you're going from basically asexual to straight. There's a good chance from your description that you were never gay to begin with.

Liking the opposite sex isn't a mistake anyway. I've told some people who worry about this-- just go with the flow. If you like girls, awesome. :slight_smile: It just means you can look for relationships without having to go through the whole "coming out" and being weird.

5. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I knew someone who also went through hormone treatments because of the whole puberty issue but he was younger when his doctor started the hormone treatments. Basically he was a fifteen year old who looked like a ten year old.

Right now your body is dealing with the sudden rush of testosterone. Your mind and your body is going to be all over the place. Has the doctor said how long you are going to be on the testosterone?

I think things will clear up once you're off the testosterone and your hormones return to their natural state.

Personally, I don't think puberty really has anything to do with your sexual orientation. Many people have expressed that they knew they were different when they were as young as four or five years old.

Like I said, the hormone treatments are gonna wreak havoc with your mind and body until sometime after your treatments are over. Not much you can really do about it so it's just the waiting game. (*hug*)

6. Caudex

Caudex Guest

No, I'm fine with it, I just feel stupid to have maybe misjudged myself. But straight peeps are cool.

7. Deaf Not Blind

yeah, it is okay if you made a lot of gay male friends, and in a year are dating ladies. just stay good buddies with them, because you know now how it feels to be left out, and you will be an awesome best friend who is straight...and if you ever get married and have kids, you will be a good dad who don't hate your kids if they do end up coming out gay. Consider this a heavenly gift...a time to consider asexuality, gayness, and come out straight...and respect and understand all three. How rare is that?