1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inviting someone over and "just hanging out"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Throwawayy, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Throwawayy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone, I just had a hypothetical question about a situation i may or may not be in in the future.

To start, I'm of high-school age. Anyways, my parents know I'm gay and they're fine with it, but I was just wondering : how would it be possible to have a guy over the house and convince my parents we're just "hanging out" and playing video games or something if we actually planned on doing something different? On the flipside, how would it be possible to convince your parents that it's not as if i'm bringing a potential boyfriend over the house if we're actually just hanging out?

Do most people's parents not care whether their gay child brings home a friend or an actual potential partner?

2. standtall00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, my parents are full on Christians and NEVER let my boyfriend come over. I mean if your parents are fine with it, then why would it matter? If they're fine with you being gay, then they should be fine with having anyone over really.

With MY parents, whenever I tell them I have a guy friend, they ALWAYS ask if he's gay before he comes over.

3. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

It's all about how much trust you have with your parents. My parents are very responsible and are always checking up on me. However, they allow me to be alone with girls all the time. I guess they trust me to do the right thing. I'm not sure if it's because we are Hispanic and are more relaxed when it comes to sex, or we just have a strong relationship between each other. If I ever were to come out as gay while living in their household, things might change. My parents believe that gays should have the right to marry (they don't think the government should intercept in your life), but they aren't exactly okay with gays.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I was assumed by my mom to be straight. I actually was able to have girls over just to hang out, despite protests from her. We honestly were just friends and I had no romantic interest in one, even when we were under the covers in my bed watching Underworld. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

She was not quite comfortable with letting us get that far, but it really was harmless. I just had to push her a little at a time until she tolerated things she had no real reason to forbid.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on your relationship with your parents. If you are usually honest with them, then you really need to think about misrepresenting the truth to them, as that will have long-term damage to your relationship in exchange for a few minutes of fun.

If, on the other hand, it's just a friend and you're hanging out, then don't be anywhere or do anything that raises suspicions... and they should be able to come to understand it. :slight_smile:

6. Throwawayy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm. Good advice everyone, thanks.

Yeah I mean I guess I'm only worried because I usually don't only invite one person over, and if I do it's someone my parents already know. I guess it shouldn't be too awkward to just be like "uh... i have a guy coming over."

7. aeva

When I'm visiting my parents, I'm not allowed in a room with the door closed with a friend that could be a potential partner and they are DEFINITELY not allowed to sleep in the same room as me. If we were to hang out in a 'public' place like the living room or a bedroom with the door open, that would be fine. This goes for guys and girls, although it does not count in the case of friends that my parents know. It's sort of strange, they're incredibly supportive of the LGBT community and are really open about sex and sexuality, but they're pretty strict about the door/bed rules, even now that I'm in my 20s and no longer live with them.