1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by runner, Jan 1, 2013.

1. runner

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever thought about moving in order to feel you can be yourself around people that don't know you and kinda start fresh and be yourself...I've been thinking about this a lot lately and am just curious if anyone is in a similar situation

2. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes....omg yes. I've been fighting that urge for the last year or so. And I'm very close to giving in.

3. Equalist

Equalist Guest

Absolutely. When I leave for college in the fall, I will definitely open up more. I'm not sure to what extent that will be, but it will definitely happen.
    It will certainly be a fresh start, and I plan to take advantage of it.

4. Throwawayy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be honest, coming out of the closet is (or was for me) in itself a fresh start. You just start acting like more of yourself than before, and it's very cathartic. Unless you live in a very homophobic environment, maybe simply coming out of the closet will be a fresh start on its own...

EDIT: (I'll just edit instead of double posting). Regarding college, I think that I'll be pretty much the same person because I've already come out of the closet and I don't see any major reasons to change my personality since I've tried to be who I am as much as possible.

5. Night Rain

All the time! There is more to it than simply being a fresh start. I don't know how to do it though. It's nearly impossible for me at this point. :frowning2:

6. runner

I'm sorry to hear that! For me I've been looking for a job in another state and looking into the different cities and such in that area that are best

I can totally see how coming out itself can be the "moving" and moving towards who you really are, but I am starting to think the only way I can do that is if I am away from most people I know...

7. shaadhdhah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Totally. I'm about to graduate college and I am positively itching for the chance for a fresh start at first impressions. Even at a super accepting college, the queer community can come to seem really small and stifling after three and a half years.

8. runner

Does anyone think it would be easy to move and come out or just as difficult if I don't move...keep in mind this move will be possibly be to florida or down south which is about 1000 miles or more from where i currently live

9. redstormrising

I didn't physically move, but I graduated from law school a couple months before coming out and switched jobs a little over a month after I came out. It had a similar effect of letting me start fresh, even though I didn't actually go anywhere.