1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story So Far

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Constant, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Constant

Hi there

First time posting on this site. I've read a lot of these threads over the past couple of years and found them to be really helpful. Now I finally feel it's the right time to post my own and get some feedback/advice/general comments. Hopefully someone out there will relate to my story and I can give back to the sense of not being alone that I have felt from reading some of these posts.

I'm 24 and like many people on here I've struggled with my sexuality for a long long time. I can't remember any time specifically when I started being attracted to men but I certainly developed a curiosity early on.

Unfortunately, an incident occurred when I was relatively young (about 12/13 I think). I had searched for information about being gay on the internet on my home computer and forgot to clear the search history (doh!). Later that night while I was in bed, my dad came upstairs and woke me up saying to get downstairs now. I then endured a 1+ hour inquisition from my parents about why I had been searching these things. I can't remember lots of detail about it, but I remember being very cold in my pyjamas and them being so angry and I could see the 'hate' in their eyes as they asked if I thought I was gay. I of course denied any such feelings and said I simply been curious as people had been talking about it at school. This seemed to satisfy them eventually and it has never been mentioned again.

However, it left a lasting impression on me and, while I have a reasonably friendly relationship with my parents, I have never forgiven them for the way they handled it.

I think my mannerisms would probably be described as 'masculine'. In that, at school, there was never any further questions about my sexuality. I captained the school hockey team, was in the rowing crew etc etc. I had a couple of gfs at school, but I was more interested in sport and doing well in my exams so they were nothing serious. Anyway I eventually went to uni to study medicine.

At university things became much more complicated. In my second year I met a boy who I basically instantly fell in love with (cliche I know but can't explain it any other way). For the first time in my life I thought about this boy all the time, wanted to be next to him all the time yadda yadda (I'm sure many of you will know the feeling) but he revealed very early on that he had a gf and this broke my heart. However, instead of sobbing off into the distance I couldn't not have him in my life. So I suppressed my true feelings for him and became his friend, and very quickly he and I became best friends.

I could actually write for ages about me and him, but I'm conscious that this post is getting very long now, so suffice to say we remained best friends for 4 years in which time he split up with his gf and started seeing someone new. All this time, being with him made me ridiculously happy, but whenever he was with his gf or mentioned her etc, it hurt so much. So this year he finished his degree and moved to another university to do a masters with his gf, and I graduated as a doctor.

Not having him around has been the most painful thing I've experienced but it made me look at my life and think about what I was doing to myself. I realised that for 4 years I had been secretly hoping that he would eventually fall in love with me too. I just couldn't understand how you could love someone so much and they just felt nothing back, I didn't think it was possible. But now I was able to see that nothing was ever going to happen with us.

So the situation I find myself in now is that all my friends think I am straight, and I have convinced myself that I must be gay because of how much I love my best friend. I've hooked up with a few girls at uni but because of my love for my friend I never really cared about them and no relationship ever came of them. So in the past couple of weeks I turned to online dating and met a guy who on paper would be perfect for me, he's very into sport, he's intelligent and I find him attractive. We slept together and it was good but afterwards it didnt make me feel as happy as I thought it would. I'm not sure if it's because: a) I am gay, just not that into him. b) I am gay, but still in love with friend so can't handle being with anyone else, c)Not gay, just had a one-off love for a boy and that's it.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I've never told anyone any of the above before and I wanted to write as much as I could in one go. I just feel that I have a job I love, friends I love, but my struggles with my sexuality is keeping me from fully living my life. Please feel free to comment. I'm a bit emotionally drained now...

2. jaysuss

I am sorry that your parents had reacted in that way when you were younger. I know I wouldn't be here if mine did. Between you and your best friend that sounds like an amazing friendship but with also some heartaches because of how you truly felt. Concerning the thing where you hooked up with the guy..sex is not always what we truly want even if it is what we feel like. I would consider trying a relationship next time instead of that. You said you also hooked up with some girls and stuff but you are also interested into guys. I would guess at you being bisexual if you are able to be with both genders physically even if one was not as serious as the other. Sexuality is not polarized and that is why the Kinsey Scale and test were made. Good luck on figuring out who you are so you can live your life. We are all rooting for you I'm sure (*hug*)

3. Salazar

Well, firstly, welcome to EC! (*hug*)

We all get what you're going through. In term of your dilemma, I should think you are either gay or bi from what you've said. You seem to have known from an early age that you were different, like many of us here. I don't know why you feel unfulfilled by your relationship though. You said you enjoyed sleeping with him, but maybe you want an actual relationship, or you're just not that interested in him?

Oh, and the way your parents reacted definitely isn't cool.

4. Equalist

Equalist Guest

In terms of your sexuality, you need to identify who you are attracted to sexually. From your description, you seem to be bisexual since you have hooked up with a few girls and said your experience with that one guy was good. Unless you did not enjoy the sexual experience with the girls, then I would say you are gay.

I have no experience with any sort of relationship, or love for a friend really, so I have no first-hand suggestions. However, I would like to suggest that you wait until you get over your friend first before you look for a relationship. I don't think you will allow yourself to get close to anybody new if you still feel so close to your friend. It will take time, but it's something that is going to have to happen. Focus on your job, hobbies, friends, anything really. You deserve to be happy. I'm so happy to hear you are in the medical field.
    Sounds just like me: likes the medical field, friends think I'm straight, LOL... ooh.

Just take it easy, keep doing well with what you have, and things will improve.