1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to parents, awkward questions, and an appointment with a pastor

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by josh9623, Jan 1, 2013.

1. josh9623

So, a few weeks ago i came out to my parents. It pretty much went like this;

Me: Mom, dad... I'm gay.

Dad: You're Gay?

Me: yes.

Dad: have you had sex with a guy?

Me: no.

Dad: Have you had sex with a girl?

Me: no.

Dad: then you can't be sure.

Me: I am.

(continues like this for a few minutes)

Dad: well you know it's probably a demon that's on you.

Me: i don't think so.

Dad: well, we're gonna find a pastor to talk to.

(this part gets repeated about 15 times before the conversation was over)

So, last sunday they took me to church (we really haven't been to church in 4 years or so) and some how it got mentioned that they had an appointment with the pastor this saturday so from seeing the service i don't think it will be that bad but i don't know.

Also, my dad will sometimes start asking me those weird questions that are a little graphic to mention, as well as some AIDS related comments so anyone who has experience or advice with this it is welcomed usually when i post on here i know what to do but need to hear it from someone other than myself, but this time i've got nothing.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

Hey there,
    I'm sorry your parents see the wrong side of Christianity. You say you haven't been to a church for a while, so your parents and you don't seem completely faithful in religion. What's up with that condemning factor of Christianity anyway? It sends the faith into paradox; if being gay is a sin, it is forgivable through Jesus' death. Therefore, any argument saying 'gays are going to hell' are spreading false prophecy.

However, I don't see it as a sin. Through love, no sin can be born. Christianity is based on love and acceptance. I also recommend seeing this: TRANSCRIPT/TRANSLATIONS. It gives a thorough discourse on Christianity and how being gay is not relevant in any aspect of Christianity, making it quite compatible with the faith.

Also, if you happen to argue these parts, know one thing: people will not change no matter the data, no matter the analysis; that's the blindness of faith. You know that you won't necessarily get any STI just from being gay and that you don't have to have sex to know your orientation.

It's serious, and I hope everything goes well. Keep a level head, ok? I'm sorry that your dad tells you it's based on demon-possession. The Christian faith and sexual orientation are completely compatible, if you do consider yourself religious. Good luck.

3. Iceman110295

my friend at my church had the same problem all they are going do is test your religion states to see if you love. i think i a hole buck of mess so they can change you just that why i stop going . just be your self and say no if they try to put you in a program it takes a long time to get out of the program. but may have to lie to your parents and say you are heal and wait until your able to leave the house.
    god love you for who you are that why he made us different hope this help and a i'll pray for you

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay hun, I just want to offer some support and point out that even though the response wasn't what you wanted, it did make a difference. Look over at your 'out status.' It's changed. You've made a step to changing your life.
    Congratulations.

I wish you all luck, and I hope your parents learn and accept you.