1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am unable to cry

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Jan 1, 2013.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is sort of weird, but I just can´t cry. And its not like I want to cry all the time, but there are sometimes I feel really sad, and with alot of things going through my mind, and I would really want to cry, and just let it out, but I can´t!! has anyone experienced this?? what should I do to fix it? :tears: :tears: :tears: (yes I can cry all I want with these smilies, but not in real life :dry:slight_smile:

2. MerBear

well i cried so hard last night....i was remembering memories of me and my online ex gf and i realized she's not in my life anymore.

the memories of us made me cry because she's not in my life anymore...and it hurts more than anything.

just dont think....let yourself go..

i know it seems....a girl is really emotionally which is true at time...but your talking to someone who anything but emotional. im pretty tough on death ,anything...

i only cry when im really hurting

#2 MerBear, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I have the same problem. I never cry. Many times I feel sad and want to cry but physically I can't make myself cry. Idk what's wrong with me. I'm interested in other people's responses. Hopefully someone knows how to fix it!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kyle, it's absolutely wonderful that you understand that not being able to cry is a problem. And... it's actually an epidemic problem among men (straight men more than gay, but both.)

Crying is about allowing yourself to be vulnerable, and for many gay men, that's a real challenge, because we've spent a lifetime hiding our true selves, our true feelings, our true attractions. So our emotions get locked away with our attempts to hide our sexuality.

There's no quick-and-easy answer, but working on letting yourself be more open and vulnerable, in all ways, will help a lot. Continuing the coming out process... telling your parents (who already know, as we've discussed before)... thinking about ways in which you can "stretch" your comfort limits with (healthy) things that are a challenge for you... all are great ways to start accessing your emotional self.

I also strongly recommend reading Brené Brown's books "Daring Greatly" and "The Gifts of Imperfection." You can also search out her three TED talks on Youtube. Her work is all about vulnerability and its importance in our emotional health and well being, as well as how vulnerability is the birthplace of courage, creativity, and innovation.

Feel free to message me if you want some more ideas. :slight_smile:

5. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to this.

I bear the curse of an insanely rational mind. No matter what the problem is, or how difficult it gets - my mind finds a way to rationalise it and it never affects me on the emotional scale.

The last time I cried was when I saw my pet, whom I loved very much, die. It was so sudden and I couldn't rationalise it in time and I had a complete meltdown. This was about 7 years ago.

I've tried to "let it down" it worked but I only got like 1 tear out before my mind kicked in and said "this is pathetic". I too would like to know how - but I know its just impossible, at least for me.

6. shovelman

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the disability to cry. It's very rare when I do cry and the only times I really have it's only when I let my dad down for some reason for example I cried for bit back in high school when I didn't win this animation competition and my dad was kind of disappointed but I couldn't shed a single tear at a funeral of my nephew's mom even though I felt really sad. So I don't know, it could be father issues I guess but I still have to wonder why?

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know what? I was going to post this in somebody else's "I cry too much and want to stop" thread, but it's a good thing I waited. I have the same problem.

It's not that I *never* cry, as there have been times recently. It just happens so rarely that it might as well be never. I'm pretty sure though that it's because I actually deal with negative situations really well. I put so much effort into rationalizing and strategizing that it doesn't happen. I'm still weak to anxiety sometimes, but pure hurt just has no power over me, for the most part.

The only reason I'm not perfectly happy with it is that I think crying is beautiful. Tears falling from a person's eyes are visually pretty to me, but also as Chip said, they show exquisite vulnerability. People tend to see me as an emotionless meathead when in reality, I just cope with it in a very subtle way.

8. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me too!! the last time I cried was when my pet dies, 3 years ago, I couldn´t hold it, I was really sad, but since then I haven´t really cried, I mean a few tears like two times maybe in the last 3 years :icon_sad: (and kind of forced)

9. stumble along

Same here, only cried when my pet died last year, and the last time before that I cried in sixth grade because I was cussed out badly for asking a question.
    Between those two times I've never cried on my own, like other people I just rationalize it too well. I didnt cry when my great grandma died, and I probably wont cry if my grandfather died, even though when I was little i bawled my eyes out when my grandma died

10. IanGallagher

If it's unable to cry in private, you could be numb from the shock of it.

If it's unable to cry in public, blame the world for teaching guys we can't cry in public and have to always carry ourselves as the prototypical man who shows no emotions. Yeah, it's screwed up but it's what's ingrained in us.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, I definitely felt that way in the very early hours of the morning... Very sad. Tried to cry. Couldn't...