1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm 17 and gay. When should I tell my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jakem12, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jakem12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most of my friends know and they are 100% supportive about it, but I'm not sure if my parents will be the same. Even if they pretend to be ok with it, I'm pretty sure they will feel disappointment inside and that's the last thing I want. I'm not too camp, so I think it will be a bit of a shock to them, and my Mum is convinced I'm on it with some girl from college. Some of my friends say I should tell them now, and some say that if I don't need to tell them for any specific reason, then leave it until I do. I'm going to be leaving college in May and going to university (or some other path which requires leaving home) in September. What should I do?

2. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I would wait until you are financially stable to tell them. This is only if you are sure they will not disown you or freak out.

If the time is right then you will know.

3. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and welcome to EC.

Kiltrout is right... if the time is right then you will know.

You may want to experience a bit more of life before you feel its the right time to tell them, and that is perfectly fine. Going away from home for a while might give you the space you need. Its a very personal decision. Listen to your heart and wait til its telling you to come out.

4. Shiny Espeon

Yeah. If you aren't sure that you will have their support, wait until you know there is somewhere safe for you to go, in case things go terribly wrong. Your safety is your #1 priority.

5. jaxdolphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may seem like the time is never right, but you will know when to tell them. It's when it's best for you. Unfortunately parents go through an emotional roller coaster with the news as well, but be honest and give it time. I grew up in a very Catholic home and it may have taken my parents years to come to terms with it, but they did, along with my entire family. They are very supportive and accept who I am. In the end, your parents do want you to be happy inside, so hopefully in time, they remember that. No matter what the outcome though, I think it's a great weight that is lifted off a person's shoulders when you come out to family, even if there is a struggle with the news and situation at first.

6. Don't rush it. That's a clear point. I just came out to myself and two people (in-person). I haven't told anyone else, and I don't feel rushed to. It's none of their business, really. I definitely don't plan on telling my parents for a LONG time because I know that they won't want to know. For some reason, it still matters to me what they think. Although, I know now that I'm gay, didn't choose that, and can't do anything to change the fact that I get boners looking at guys with no clothes on.

7. Kay

Kay Guest

When you believe you are ready.

8. Salazar

If you're not sure how your parents are to respond, I'd advise against telling them for now. As you've said, you are going to university in September, so you could leave it until you go? You could also try and bring up gay topics around them and see how they respond? Good luck!