1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Approach coming out as a casual or serious conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kiltrout, Jan 2, 2013.

1. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Hello everyone,

I've decided on finally coming out to my best friend next week. I have messaged her through facebook and told her that I wanted to have dinner on Saturday, January 5 in order to tell her something important. One problem, I'm not sure how to approach the news. I know what I want to say, but I don't know if I should start off with chit chat and then move on to the news or just come out to her directly. I've been traveling around Europe for the past couple of weeks so maybe I can start off with that and then move on. I think I might decide depending on her mood. What do you folks think?

Best to all,
    Kilgore Trout

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, I'd suggest don't try to wrap the message in too many layers of stories/metaphors/etc before getting to the actual punch line... for one, your friend will probably get dizzy trying to follow you along or might even be in a state of frustration when you get to the important part - the other caveat is you might get sidetracked a dozen times and lose your confidence to actually say what you wanted to say. Maybe try something like "Hey it's been a while since we had a good talk, and I'm really excited to tell you about my trip and show you all these pictures - but before we get into that, there's something else I'd like to share with you because you're my best friend and I want you to know...." - then whatever formula is appropriate to your situation at the moment, whether you want to use "I'm gay" or simply "I think I like guys" or "I'm going through some questioning about my sexuality and I've come to the conclusion that I like guys more than girls"...
    Best of luck with your announcement :wink:.

3. That1gurl222

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I completely agree with this! You don't want to get sidetracked or lose confidence in yourself! Go by the approach stated above! :slight_smile: good luck!