1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drunken, very loud ''coming out'' :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justinf, Jan 2, 2013.

1. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something happened at New Year's and I could really use some help.

I originally planned on spending New Year's with friends (including my boyfriend), but my plans changed last minute, as pretty much all of my family from the US had planned a surprise visit, so my parents decided to throw a big (massive!) party. Everyone was invited -- all my friends, my brother's friends, my brother's girlfriend and her friends, and all my family from my dad's and mom's side. It's pretty rare for them to do stuff like this so last minute, but it was pretty cool that we got to have such a great party.

I was a little nervous before it even started, because (< see out status) 99% of the people there didn't know about me being anything else than straight, and they sure as hell didn't know about my boyfriend. I just had a feeling with all the alcohol involved in New Year's parties, something was doomed to go wrong. And surprise surprise, it did.

The thing is, when I'm drunk, I know what I'm about to do is stupid, but that doesn't keep me from doing it nonetheless.

So we were partying, I was drunk, my friends were drunk, hell everyone was drunk, even my parents. I felt like this was the perfect moment to tell everyone about myself, but something inside me was sober enough to realize that wasn't a good idea.

A couple of drinks later, however, one of my (gay) friends kissed his boyfriend, which everyone thought was cute, so what followed was every couple giving each other a kiss (I remember thinking it was so cute and hilarious for some reason.. I just think it sounds tacky now). One of my friends who knows about me, said "well go on then, Justing, kiss Sam!". And I did. I didn't even think about it, I just did it. Some laughed, some went like "awww", some went like "eww," and some I assume just stared in disbelief, as that's what I saw them doing after we were done kissing. I felt a little bit stared at, but didn't feel bad about it at all.

Then about 10 minutes later, we were laughing and acting crazy, I'm not exactly sure anymore, and all of a sudden two girls I didn't know came up to me and started talking about the kiss. I don't know why, but I ended up on the table and started shouting "I'm gay!" in front of everyone. (not even true, at the very most I might be bisexual)

Normally when I'm drunk and I have these gayish urges -- it has happened before --, my boyfriend keeps me from doing something stupid. This time, however, he was drunk as well and consequently didn't stop me. My brother was the one who told me to keep my mouth shut and come off the table. Too bad he was a little too late.

The best, or worse, part is that my boyfriend was supposed to stay the night on an inflatable bed in my room (being one of my best "friends"), but obviously he slept in my bed, and I didn't lock my door. My mom walked in the next morning to wake us up and there's no way she did not see the two of us sleeping in the same bed.

When I thought about it at first, I nearly cried and panicked. But then as I took a shower, got ready for the day, and faced my family at breakfast, I unexpectedly started to feel more relaxed and figured who gives a fuck, we were all drunk, no one will think anything of it.

My dad brought it up once yesterday, saying "so you and Sam, huh?". I laughed it off, said "funny," and he laughed at well. That was the last thing he or anyone said about it.

But, the relaxed I felt at first, the more it's starting to freak me out now. Everyone saw me kissing a guy, everyone heard me say "I'm gay," and I'm sure my mom told everyone about the fun fact she found me with another guy in bed. Are they idiots? Are they really that stupid they don't know? Why is no one bringing it up? Just say SOMETHING about it! Joke about it, ask me about it, be mad about it, confused about it, I don't care, ANYTHING!

I mean, I absolutely don't want them to take it seriously. I really don't. And I don't think they do. I want them to never bring it up. Ever. But then the silence is killing me as well! Like how do I know they really don't believe what I said? I wanna make sure they know it was a joke, but if I bring it up that'll be suspicious.

I really feel like a lunatic now for freaking out like this, but so much is going through my mind right now and I don't know what to do :icon_sad:

My boyfriend and I have had quite a few arguments lately about me not being out, I've been feeling like shit because of it. We FINALLY dropped the subject and things were going good, and then this happens. :cry:

I'm an idiot.

2. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

First off, you're not an idiot. You were a bit drunk, which is fine.

Has your family ever confronted you about your sexuality? Have they ever made any hints to let you know that they are aware of you being gay?

3. BudderMC

It's quite possible they aren't saying anything because they're following your lead. Because you didn't treat it like it was a serious thing at the party or after the fact, they probably think it's something they can shrug off and move on with their lives.

I feel like your best course of action is to just be upfront about it. Find your parents/family/whoever, sit them down, and start with a "Hey, so I know I did some questionable things while drunk yesterday, but I felt it's fair that you know I actually am gay and it wasn't just the alcohol speaking. And yeah, I'm dating Sam."

I mean, I think if it were a massive deal they would have said something about it already, either at the party after you kissed or today after it's all said and done. If they were taking it badly, I'm sure you would have already seriously felt the awkward tension even if they didn't bring it up.

It might not be the most fun conversation you're going to have, but it sounds like they've already grasped the idea somewhat. The longer it goes unsaid, the more awkward it'll feel for you. Might as well do it now, right?

4. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm seems to me your family is somewhat open-minded, and realized you're not ready to talk to them about it unless you're drunk, so out of respect they don't. Your dad tried but didn't push when you didn't take the invitation to talk about it.

I'd be tempted to say congrats, you're now out to your family ?

5. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you may not identify as gay, but you are in fact in a romantic and sexual relationship with another man and have been for some months now. That doesn't exactly say completely straight to me nor is it something that should really be ignored and swept under the rug. Why do you want your family to ignore your relationship? I would feel pretty bad if I was your boyfriend, like you don't believe the relationship is valid. On another note, your family seems pretty ok with everything and accepting. I don't think they would have any problem with you being something other than straight.

6. Lewis

This is something I'd do and scared I probably will in the future. I have a few drinks and I don't give a shit who knows that I'm gay, and that scares me. Before my New Years party this year I made a sober promise to myself to keep my mouth shut, but I ended up telling my neighbour which is a lesbian (so I guess it's not all that bad). It got worse, I went with my best friend (a guy) upstairs and said 'give me a kiss!' and my dad was stood right outside the door *cringe*, I guess I just have to deal with it.

When I go out drinking I ALWAYS without fail end up telling somebody that I'm gay and I know one day it's probably going to be my parents - I've even considered stopping drinking because of it.

Just try and relax, if anything it has at least given them some incentive that you're gay. They probably know already and would be really supportive, I mean your dad seemed pretty cool and humoured the situation. When I do things like this it usually takes me a few days to stop cringing and panicking about it.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: there is never a need to panic. Yeah, you cracked the closet door there a bit. Some people might buy the "I was drunk" excuse, others might not. But no matter what people believe or think or infer... no one gave you any bad reaction for it. So, what you learned is that people wouldn't mind whether you're gay or straight. In the end, that means less pressure, not more.

Also, your dad DID bring it up. What else was the following than bringing it up?
    So, he tried to be candid about it, but the core fact is that he asked. There was a real question there.
    And you gave him an answer. Which was (translated): "I don't want to talk about it!". You can't blame a guy for respecting that. If they're otherwise prone to respecting your boundaries, then that was, essentially, the only question you're going to get until it comes up again or you bring it up.

And the same may be true for all of the others. They saw what they saw, but they saw you were drunk and (at least among my friends), it's considered bad form to call people on how they behave when drunk (well, except if they turn violent or the like). They might be assuming that you'll tell them what you want when you want it, and that they shouldn't be nosy in the meantime.

Still, I wouldn't say that's putting you in a bad position. They're probably not thinking you're a full 100% straight anymore, but otherwise accepting and willing to let you del with stuff on your own terms. That gives you freedom and the ball is entirely in your camp.

What you do with that ball is yours to decide, but may I offer two thoughts?

- Think a bit more about how you felt when you were drunk. Liberated. Free to do what you felt. Free to show your affection. All other doubts about what that says about you or what others will think aside... it may be a clue about what you really want.

- So, maybe you don't need to call yourself gay or bisexual or any label at all. Maybe you can be straight and let Sam be your one exception. Identifying with a label is a tool, not a goal. And it should definitely never be an impediment.
    Maybe the right answer was "I haven't quite figured out how attraction works for me, and it might be almost exclusively straight in the end, but yeah: Sam and me. No matter how I might feel about other guys, I do like him as more than just a friend".
    Then they might think what they want, but at least you're open about things as they stand.

tldr; you're not an idiot. It might not be exactly the situation you expected, but you're in control and you have the initiative. Which is not bad at all.

8. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dude first of all dont be dumb! They know it wasnt a joke! everyone saw it and heard it. The thing is they probably just dont care who your happy with. I had this same problem and thought that being gay was going to be the most controvesal issue in my family, but when i came out to my dad and my brother and best friend they all just accepted it and that was that. There was no real need to bring it up again. A few times my brother has mentioned it and we laugh, or on new years i spilled my guts to my dad about my crush and he was there to give me fatherly advice. I agree with the other guys who said your parents are probably following your lead. The ball is in your court kid, next move is yours!

9. Ianthe

1. Your friends and family are not stupid. They know that something is going on with you and Sam. Something that involves kissing and announcing you're gay and sharing a bed.
    2. They appear to be handling it better than you are. Both of your parents are awesome.
    3. "So, you and Sam, huh?" might possibly be the coolest dad response ever. Very chill.

I'm sure they aren't bringing it up because it's so blatantly clear that you don't want to talk about it.

You want them to "know" it was a joke. But it wasn't a joke; you are actually in a relationship with Sam. Does Sam like it that you act like your relationship is a joke? I doubt that feels good.

In order to make them believe that it was a joke, you would have to explicitly lie to them. And for what? The truth does not appear to have dire consequences in this case. You openly kissed your boyfriend in front of them, announced that you are gay, and shared a bed with a man all night long, and your parents' response was, "So, you and Sam, huh?" The scary things you think will happen if they know are all in your mind. I can tell, because they know, and none of them happened. If they were going to freak out, they would have. They didn't. Your parents love you, and your relationship with Sam is not going to change that. Lying is unnecessary, and only reinforces your shame.

As is often the case, you are having by far the hardest time of anyone accepting it. You not wanting your parents to know isn't about them--they are fine. It's about you. You are the one who can't accept this about yourself.

You are in a relationship with a man, and you have real feelings for him. By definition, this really means that you are not straight. And it's really okay. It doesn't look like you are going to lose anything because of it. Your friends and family were surprised, but they are apparently all okay with it.

10. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone. I really do feel a bit more relaxed about all this after reading what you guys said.

I guess I didn't really think about the fact that this shows they'd be fine with me being whatever. To be honest, I'd expected them not to be too happy about it, I don't know why.. it's just a feeling. But maybe I was wrong. They're pretty cool, I guess.

I know I'm probably gonna have to be the one who brings it up now, it's just that that's the hardest part, you know? I'm thinking maybe being out isn't that bad at all, it's just the part where you have to tell.. seems like hell. And not saying anything now I have no clue what they're thinking, or assuming. If they could just be the ones to bring it up.

Ughhh now I wish my reaction to my dad would've been different.. either a clear no or a "so what, would you have a problem with that?" Come to think of it, that's exactly what I should've said.. I could've gauged his true reaction. I thought he was just joking. The thing is I find it hard to believe he'd be so completely fine with it.. that makes me think he really does think it was a joke.
    Then again maybe I'm fooling myself. I don't know.

No, not at all. Well once when I was 12, but after that, never. They really didn't have a reason to, either :/

Even though this is how I truly feel, I'm afraid no one will take me seriously if I tell them "I have a boyfriend, but apart from that I'm still straight." If they believed me, that'd be great, though.

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2013 at 06:59 PM ----------

I know. I just wanna know what exactly they think is going on, and how they really feel about it.

Then how the hell do I make it clear that I do wanna talk about it now, without saying it myself.

:cry: that was mean. It feels terrible, if that's not obvious enough.

#10 justinf, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. Ianthe

No--you kissing a guy and announcing you're gay pretty much clues people in--even if you're drunk. Maybe even especially if you are drunk. Drunk people rarely lie, the truth comes out before they can screen it.

And if he had a problem with it, I don't think he would joke about it like that. Not in that situation.

You feel like they won't be okay with it because YOU are not okay with it.

You can just explain how you feel, and leave it at that. I would probably drop the straight label, and just say that you usually like women, but you happened to fall in love with Sam. People will believe whatever they want to believe--try not to worry about that.

In the situation you're in, you probably don't really have to say anything. Just start referring to Sam as your boyfriend. Why not? They already know. If they have questions, they can ask them, and just answer as honestly as you can.

12. Equalist

Equalist Guest

If you truly don't want to bring it up, then I would suggest you become more open about your relationship.

I fully support the notion of wanting to say something and make it clear without having to be the one to say it. It shows that you don't make a huge deal about it, and others will feel more inclined to also not make a big deal out of it, whether they were going to or not.

I'm not sure what measures you have taken before now to hide your sexuality from your family, but you can be more open about it, and they will gradually get the idea, assuming they don't know already (which they probably should know; drunk actions are not lies). If you lie about spending time with him, maybe mention that you are spending time with him a little more. Maybe bring his name up in casual conversations a little more, and they may be inclined to ask if you two really are together.

Give them the opportunity to bring it up. There are obviously other ways to do so, but the above suggestions just come to mind for me, and they are also under the assumption that you are somewhat protective of your sexuality and disclosing it and your relationship.

Don't let this eat away at you.

13. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I think this is good advice.

Did Sam find out you lied to your parents about the relationship? If so, how did he feel? Is he out to his parents?

14. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again. I'm gonna go against everything I feel and follow your advice and try to get things across.

I like this idea! That actually sounds like a really good idea. I'm gonna try that.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with directly confronting them and saying it. I will probably start doing this after I warmed them up a bit and feel a little more comfortable myself. Or maybe sooner, if I have the guts, who knows.

He knows what my dad said and how I reacted. He was a bit disappointed, but happy that I didn't completely deny it. Yes he's out to his parents, but he doesn't have a lot of contact with them.. they're crazy religious and not at all okay with him being gay. I think that's part of why he's so patient with me telling my parents.

15. Ditz

This has been by far the best falling out of the closet story ever!

I think you have the coolest parents and as everyone have pointed out, you already came out to them and they seem to be fine with it... trust me they would have cornered you a long time ago if they weren't happy about it.

You are exactly like me, we are the ones with the issues of coming to terms with the fact that we are gay or bi, not really the people around us.

As you've already come out to your family, even though you'd like to think that you didn't, and as you would like them to bring up the subject matter, why not ask your folks if you could invite Sam over for dinner? They already know you two are an item and that would confirm it and maybe push them to ask more questions giving you the chance to explain yourself.

16. kunglaomksm

I don't know if you're close to your brother or not but why not ask for his help... Besides if you tell them(your parents) as early as possible the sooner they could adjust(like mine they're still adjusting but at least they already know). I know coming out is not easy but don't wait for another moment to come out when an opportunity arises... If you can't do it alone, then find some friends who knows or you could ask for your brother's support...

PS:
    And if you think about it you could add your kind off coming out story in the 'funny response when you came out' thread :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/36614-funny-responses-you-got-when-you-came-out.html

#16 kunglaomksm, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  17. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^Right!!!

I'd say you're looking at this the wrong way... this is AWESOME! If your parents can joke about a topic like this, they're clearly somewhat accepting. It seemed like your dad was giving feelers, but you could've shrugged it off or joked back, like "Hahah... Yep. Me and Sam..." I'm pretty sure they know, and since you said you had other gay couples there kiss and they didn't mind, they seem rather open-minded to me! I wish MY dad had responded like that! (He's accepting but he NEVER makes jokes about it... even though he jokes about just about everything...) Anyway, the way I look at it, you now have your parents approval, or at the very least their acceptance. Good job on your elixir of life! :thumbsup:

18. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think your parents won´t have a problem with it, I mean I know if I did any of the stuff you did, even if drunk, my parents would have gone crazy. So I think you´re lucky that your parents are so cool, you should just tell them, for what you wrote they´ll be ok with it :slight_smile:

19. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I am glad my parents apparently don't think it's a big deal. I'm still a bit hesitant, though, because even though I know they don't have a problem with any of my gay friends, I never thought they'd have the same reaction to me. Especially my dad.. he is quite religious, and has made comments before when there was stuff on tv.
    Still, he didn't seem bothered at all.. you guys are probably right, I should just be happy. And I should give them more credit.

I like the idea of asking them if I can invite him over for dinner :slight_smile: think I'll do that.

Yikes this makes me nervous :rolle:

Thanks again!

20. Given To Fly

Good luck, Justin.
    I'm sure you'll be fine :slight_smile: