1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure how I feel about this

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theMaverick, Jan 2, 2013.

1. theMaverick

So as you all know, I finally broke up with my controlling crazy psycho (now ex) girlfriend a few weeks back. I came to my mom's for the holidays and today while we were talking, she asked when I was going to get a girlfriend. I said I don't want to date right now or anytime in the near future. Then she said "boyfriend?" and I said "I don't want to date anyone, period". That conversation really freaks me out the more I think about it.

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would feel pretty good about it. If she said "boyfriend?" in a genuine and curious tone, then it seems like she might possibly be accepting if you ever did have a boyfriend or decided to come out.

3. Lewnatic

What Lance said. It's a good thing. I wouldn't be weirded out by it.
    It perhaps means she knows you well enough to know you're not completely straight, and also implies she'll probably be fine with it.

4. That1gurl222

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In my opinion it sounds like your mom would be very acceptable if you have/had a boyfriend. :slight_smile:

5. shovelman

I agree, it sounds like she would be very accepting if you do/did get a boyfriend so I wouldn't worry about the conversation you had with your mom but take it more as hint from her if you ever want to tell her something in the future.:slight_smile:

6. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I would probably be kind of scared at first, but then happy. I would take this as a good sign that she is ready to discuss you being gay.

#6 kiltrout, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Don't chain up your feelings about this. I didn't want to be gay. I tried to suppress my homosexual attractions. It worked for about 10 years to my "credit." I lied to myself so many times that I was straight that I believed my lies. But, they didn't last forever. Now, I feel like the monster inside of me had broken free of its chains and it's SO hungry. So hungry.

8. theMaverick

I'm just so not ready to tell her anything yet. I fear I inadvertently outed myself.

9. Draco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not gonna lie I lol when I read this. I feel the same way. Like I'm Dr.Jeckell and Mr.Hyde

10. PeteNJ

Mom knows. She's opening the door for you, she doesn't want that secret between the two of you.

Take a deep breath, tell your Mom you love her and give her a hug. Tell her when you're ready.

It's all good and going to get better.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, sounds like she just pulled the closet door open and offered you a hand. I'd feel pretty confident about it. And if it was meant in a teasing way, whatever. You can take it to be serious and then she'll be stuck.

12. Ditz

I think that took a lot of guts from her... She is trying to reach out to you which is awesome, but I can also see how that can be totally scary...

13. Someonelost,

If you want to tell your mom, it's going to be hard. I recently told two guys that I was gay, and I think that it was the hardest thing that I have ever done. I was all emotional and everything (and I'm usually not emotional at ALL). I know that I came out and that they will always know that I'm gay. I can't go back in the closet with these two guys. They just wouldn't believe it from the levels of my distress that I exhibited in order to tell them. But now, I feel SO much better about myself. I feel like telling two people (at the same) was all it took to get the ball rolling, and that I could tell another person now, easily.

Good things don't come easy, but I think the rewards will be worth it.

14. theMaverick

Alright, thanks everyone.