1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can therapy help with Confusion/Questioning?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by localfwbguy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. localfwbguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I don't mean religious conversion stuff by the way. I am just really confused about my sexuality and wonder if therapy could help? I have tremendous anxiety issues regarding my situation, as well as being very scared because I'm in a LTR with a girl. Thanks

2. Equalist

Equalist Guest

It could potentially help you. A therapist may be able to talk to you about your concerns and help you come to terms with yourself. The best thing about it is that it is their job to listen to you and help from there, so it really is your chance to be honest and say everything that is on your mind. Just remember that it is important to remain open-minded since you are confused yourself.
    If it really is something you think a therapist could help you with, then yes, it could be very beneficial.

3. Naomilly92

Yeah, the best thing about a therapist is that they help you look at the options and look. At things more clearly from a wider perspective, this will definitely help you

4. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you're open to talking, then it can be extremely helpful! Good luck!

5. You could get a therapist if you want.

But it may be just as helpful if you know someone (who is just a regular person) who is gay and who you trust - just to talk with them. That's what I did, and I already has made me feel more comfortable about my sexuality.

6. localfwbguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Yall, I appreciate it.

7. PeteNJ

Its really helpful for me. I picked a LGBT "friendly" guy, I really feel like I'm talking with someone who has helped a lot of guys like me.

My health insurance has a "doc finder" online. For mental health professionals, you can pick things like gay friendly, gender transition, etc. I chose maybe 6 who were nearby, then went to their practice web sites (a couple just had longer listings), so get a better sense if they really worked with lgbt issues or just checked off the box so they'd get more hits! Then I called the guy I thought I'd like to work with, left a message about what I wanted to work on and asked if he could call be when he had 15 minutes.

I asked him about his practice - does he work with men who are questioning their sexuality, men who are coming out, older men coming out (yes, me!). Based on the convo, I felt pretty good. Then went for the first session -- still with the thought, if it seems like its a good fit, then great. Otherwise -- I'll try someone else on the list.

This is, to me, one of the biggest and most deeply personal things I've worked on in my life, and who I trust to work on it with -- is a big deal to me.

Good luck -- oh -- I live near a couple of pretty big colleges/universities. They all have on their web sites lists of resources for lgbt students. Two of them listed therapists, shrinks, support groups, which was helpful in figuring out which therapists probably have a lot of clients dealing with these issues.

Pete

8. alwayshope11

It was really helpful for me :slight_smile: it can't hurt to give it a try! Good luck and stay strong!