1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I really need help,

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Unknown92, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Unknown92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im 21, and all my friends know i am gay but my family dont and its killing me not telling them but i am just petrified. I have an amazing girlfriend who i would love to introduce to my family but i just dont think they will take it well. My girlfriend was disowned by her family when she came out, and that makes the whole situation worse. i really need some advice, its driving me insane living a lie.

2. Naomilly92

If you're worried about their reaction, test the waters and see what they say, also prepare I case it does go badly, does your girlfriend live in your own place, if not you might want to wait until you know that if worst comes to worst and you do get kicked out, you can survive

3. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    You didn't say much about your parents. Why do you think they won't be accepting? Do they make homophobic comments, are they very religious?

4. Unknown92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My parents are not homophobic i have many gay relatives on my mums side but im just sooo scared of telling them. the longer i leave it the worse its getting.

5. Rexmond

Hey, there's no need to get so worried, especially if you have gay relatives. That will probably make it easier for you to come out, and if they aren't homophobes. You're in a good situation. Also there's no rush, it's best to prepare for these sort of things: perhaps you could start a discussion with your parents separately about gay/lesbian people. Get their views on them. Whichever one has the least concerns with them, consider coming out to them. If it's your mother for example, ask her to tell your father if you're too worried. Or perhaps even write them a letter, whichever is easier.

6. Unknown92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think im going to write a letter, where to start on that il never know!! thanks for the advice though

7. Ianthe

Here on Empty Closets, in the resources section, there are a bunch of examples of coming out letters. (They are linked to in a blue box on the left.)

You can look at those for ideas, and write a draft of your own and post it here for us to look at, if you want.