1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Apparently

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MidnightOwl, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MidnightOwl

Because society won't accept it, I have to be a wolf and dress in sheeps clothing because society doesn't accept Unisex. Thanks dad.

2. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    That sucks.(*hug*) Is there anything you can say/do to convince him of your gender neutrality?

3. MidnightOwl

Nope. Because he says he accepts me. However, society won't accept so because like him whom conformed to society I have to do the same thing.

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What does he think about the edgy style stuff?

5. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    Oh. Is there some way that you can explain to him that you don't want/have to fit inside the norms of society? I'm guessing that you've already tried that. How dependent are you on your father? Can you be yourself without him knowing?

(lol this feels like a game of Twenty questions :slight_smile: )

6. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hey you!! I think you need a (*hug*) And what do you mean by him conforming to society? That's the worst advice a parent can give to their child. He should be proud of you for wanting to be yourself; I know some many people who are not happy with who they are. Just hang in there and stand up for yourself no matter what he has to say.

7. MidnightOwl

That's a whole other box of cookies. Same argument. I have to dress and conform to the rules of society.

I already tried that. He said that it doesn't matte "who i want to be"and then I said I want to feel attractive. And he said that I have to feel happy and pretend to like the clothes I don't like.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does he think society won't accept that style? I see so many women dressed like that. I live in Alabama, one of the most anti-gay states in the US, and society accepts the way they dress.

Ok so, the bold sentence made me want to vomit. He says he accepts you, but he's lying. If he accepted you, then he wouldn't care what society thinks. He would support you no matter what.

#8 Anthemic, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  9. Deaf Not Blind

um...i know i dress like a sporty, nicely dressed boy...but honestly in winter it looks pretty shapeless! Mom don't care, she and my late gramma just were happy i didn't dress like a slut or show my underwear hanging out my jeans...

I saw a pix of you, it aint PRETTY or DRESSED UP...but it is normal, common, acceptable...you could attend my church college group and they would think you are a guy. There are a LOT of parents who would love any gender child to wear what you got on...modest and clean cut. Gee!

He wants you to lie, to live a lie, to dress in a way to please strangers. Hey, guess what? I get compliments from guys and girls on how I dress sometimes! Even if you don't, I guarantee you won't get told it looks so bad go change it as it is offensive.

Your dad needs to read about my mom here....she is conservative Baptist! My church, the women were fine being introduced to me (sadly as) her daughter. All smiles. He has a problem, do NOT obey him unless you get kicked out...stand your ground like a man!

10. MidnightOwl

A quote from him, "If you're facing me with your face, if you turn your back towards me does that suddenly make your face a lie?"

11. Deaf Not Blind

huh? so your dad is not on his meds i see.

12. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Then ask him, "If you say you accept me, yet you're worried about what others think, does that make you a hypocrite?"

13. Deaf Not Blind

im so mean, i don't let others be mean to me and give polite back!
    I know they don't like it that I am blunt back to them but I don't apologize for how God made me...an irritation to jerks.

i wouldn't ask him anything more, i would tell him.
    i tell mom what to do when she is childish and morally wrong...and if he were my dad guess what i would do?

14. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I'm assuming you have dude equipment down there, because girls can usually wear "guy clothes" without much trouble. If I'm wrong, oh well.

This might not be exactly what you want to hear, and you're a different person that I am, but here's what I think would maximize your clothing you like to getting in trouble ratio.

Your father clearly isn't a big fan of what you're trying to do, and his mind won't be changed. So just follow his orders on that until you leave the house. I don't know if you're in high school or if you're a doctoral candidate, but I'll assume you're in high school because your dad is still controlling your behavior. So, even though it might not be fun for high school, just do what he says, because at college you can just do whatever you want clothing-wise. Unless he has a camera in your room or something.

15. MidnightOwl

He means that he wants me to show only what people can accept. He means that I I'm only presenting not everything about me and only what they can handle.

Sadly, my dad likes to win arguments. And that wouldn't work. We had a conversation a few days ago.

It went something like. So a day ago, I was on a chai tea kick. So I left the milk pitcher out because I was going to come back to it. It had been 1hr and I finally finished my first glass. I went downstairs to make another, and the pitcher was in the dishwasher. So I was being a little funny. I did a little ranting to my dad.

"I came downstairs and the tea was on the high shelf again and the milk pitcher was thrown in the dishwasher"

He goes, "In other words someone cleaned up"

Flash forward the next day, he bought some mint leaves. And I taught him how to excrete the mint flavor in a ziploc bag and a rolling pin. And I threw the ziploc bag away.

Dad, "you didn't throw that away"

I said, "yes"

Dad, "what a waste"

I said, "In other words someone was cleaning up" [trying to be cheeky]

Dad, "There is a difference between something sitting out for an hour and something taken out a few seconds"

I said, "That's whatyou said yesterday"

Dad goes, "A convenient excuse"

But guess what!? If I had left it out, I would have gotten in trouble for not cleaning up after myself.'-.-

My dad likes to be right. And likes to always win. He doesn't like losing. And will find a way out of everything.

I have said before talking to my dad is like doing this :bang:

edit-

@Caudex: I'm actually 21. And was born biologically female. And I'm Pansexual. I am unisex and dress both male and female. And see myself as male and female. I like to embody androgyny and androgyny makes me feel good and confident.

16. Deaf Not Blind

Like I said, you don't dress bad, you just don't dress how he wants you to look.
    so if he wanted you to dress like a hooker and wear a sign saying you cost $5 and hour, would you?
    I know the answer...hell no!
    So difference is what?
    You are an adult, he wants to control you, and duh I like to be in control and win all arguments myself. ...but you gotta show him you are MAN ENOUGH to stand up to him and not back down...I know I don't know you both, but I know me. I know that a guy who don't want to lose will push somebody to cave in as long as they do show weakness and signs that they will compromise, so I will continue to do whatever I need to win. So how can you break me? I don't want to SAY!!! It my secret! :grin: But I will say you can pack up move out don't call or come back, and you win. Alternative is not speaking to him, and not obeying him, like he was not in existence...even talk to others right through him. Other alternative is to not give up the fight and be just as much a brick wall as him. Tell him he dresses embarrassingly male and you have bought a pink floral scarf for him to mix it up a bit. :grin: Get him really mad...but these are what I would do.

Now, what are YOU going to do?
    are you man/woman or mouse?

17. MidnightOwl

I'm an owl. Mystery of the night. ahahaa.

It's hard, cause when we were children he protected me from my equally abusive mother. He sacrificed so much for us and he has done so much for us. Obeying him and going against him, would hurt him becuasehe would be upset that he had sacrificed that much and we didn't appreciate it. But I do appreciate it. I do. I am grateful.

But I can't be miserable any more. I want, and what I want to do is stop hiding and following in his shadow. I want to be who I am. And not hide.

18. Deaf Not Blind

owls prey on mice...

well i am glad he had a heart to protect you, but he is being over protective now.

the world is cruel, and he can't keep an owl from other predatory animals.

he can teach it how to fight, but cower? you will surely die...

he needs to know you won't obey...you do that for yourself, and for him...time for the owl to fly from the nest.

19. regime

regime Guest

I know you said your father has accepted you and yet he wants you to hide in public...I would like to think he is trying to protect you from this harsh world, but in his ignorance he is hindering you. Maybe he has accepted you..but he knows how the world is..and they may accept you..you know?

20. MidnightOwl

It's why I was always the problem child though. Cause I have foughten all my life and refuse to not fight. Just...I have always been afraid of him disapproving and him not being proud of me or loving me if I don't do what he wants. It's why I suffered through a college that I hated, it's why I'm struggling with this gender thing, and it's why I have this much trouble at home. I can't live flightless. Or fightless. Cause it's not in my nature. But I'm trying so hard to be the submissive type.