1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I have some opinions and advice! Help me, please?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by animequeen567, Jan 2, 2013.

1. animequeen567

Now this is not an LGBT question. I just want to hear what people have to say about this so I hope I'm in the right section. If not, I'm sorry. Now first I have to explain so it's story time. It's long so I'm sorry.

Okay, I am 19 years old and am a legal adult. I live in my college dorms, but on breaks I live at my parent's house. My dad is a little bit hard to deal with and is very annoying. He calls me fat all the time (once he even went so far as to say that one day that I was gonna blow up because I was so fat.) He also calls me stupid on a regular basis and always judges me based on what I do or don't do and sometimes he even thinks I did something when I didn't and he judges me. He never listens to me. He never lets me explain things. He tends to think anything I say is gonna be stupid. He doesn't respect me at all. He doesn't clean up after himself at all. He's very lazy. He makes me and my siblings clean up after him usually me. I do his laundry, I clean all the dishes (which are mostly his because he eats all the time and doesn't reuse his plates...), I take care of his animals (I live on a farm), clean the barns, I clean up anything that he throws around the house, etc. He irritates me to no end. I don't mind doing these things, but what irritates me is the fact that I never do them well enough for him. He ALWAYS complains. Just today he wanted me to do all his laundry that he let pile up and he called me from work at 7am. He wanted me to do them right when he woke me up, but I was tired so I slept after he called me. I was gonna do them when I woke back up. I stayed up until 3 because I have insomnia and have to be tired to fall asleep so I was tired. He called me again at 10 to check on me; little did I know he my sister to check with her first and she didn't assume that I was supposed to be doing the laundry when he asked "is Jess doing laundry" (which she should know by now that when he asks a specific thing I'm supposed to be doing it, I lie for her when he checks with me to check on her, but I won't hold it against her it just irritated me.) so he yelled at me and said I couldn't be on my laptop all day (which obviously I didn't listen). I put laundry in the washer, told my sister to tell me when it stops, and I went back to sleep for another hour. When I got up, she texted me that the washer had stopped. Our washer is broken and not working right. It tends to go REALLY SLOW and stops in the middle of the cycle. When I checked it, sure enough it stopped on wash cycle so I restarted it. It stopped another hour later still on wash cycle so I switched it to rinse and spin, had to restart that one twice, and then put it to drain and spin. It took a total of 4 hours to finish washing 1 load of laundry and put it in the dryer. I put another load in and then got to leave to go with a friend to the mall. When I got back from the mall he yelled at me and asked if I did laundry. I told him the truth that I put in two loads, but he said "No, you only did 1; your mom had to finish the other one." Then I tried to explain to him that the washer doesn't work right and it took 4 hours to finish washing it, but he wouldn't let me talk he just kept saying "No!" every other word and I got really irritated. Then I gave up because he never listens anyway. He told me that I am to stand in the laundry room and wait for all the clothes to be done tomorrow the whole time (which I refuse to do). He does things like this all the time. He usually is a lot worse with punishments though; I was lucky tonight. He tries to find reasons to get me in trouble all the time. I'm a legal adult and he shouldn't have any control over me. I shouldn't have to do chores for him. I'll do basic chores since I'm living there like clean up after myself, but I do not want to clean up after other people unless they are sick or something. I really hate cleaning up after people. My dad is old enough to clean up after himself, he has two working legs, and is not crippled or sick in any way. One thing I left out was that if I try to protest or yell back he gets a little violent...he used to be a lot worse, but as I grew up I learned how to talk to him so that he doesn't get violent. I can't stand up for myself against him though.

Now my question is: What do you guys think of this? What are your opinions of this situation? Am I being too selfish or lazy? Am I being too whiny? I want to know which one of us is in the wrong.

I also want any advice you can give me. I want to know how I can get him to respect me and listen to me.

2. Copperflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, you are definitely not selfish, lazy or whiny - and violence in any situation is never acceptable. I'm sorry you have had to go through that. :-(

I don't know if I can give much on advice, but I want you to know that you are not the only one. Is your father very controlling in general? I have watched my girlfriend being controlled by her mother for the nearly 4 years that we have known. She's also an adult, but if she goes to visit home even for a weekend her mother will tell her what to do, what to eat, when to sleep and she is never happy with anything. Even when she calls her or the other way around, her mother will disapprove and judge pretty much everything if something my girlfriend says doesn't please her. Basically, her mother is never happy with her.

Just don't blame yourself when your father yells at you or thinks you are not doing something well enough. :slight_smile: I know it can be difficult, but I have seen where it leads. My girlfriend is constantly feeling guilty and she has an incredibly big need to please people. It's really not your fault if your father says you are not doing enough chores or that you aren't doing them well enough.

I'm sorry I cannot say much more, I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. And that you shouldn't think you are somehow wrong and he would be right.

3. Deaf Not Blind

I say call protective services and let them tell him to shape up or go to prison.

period. :slight_smile:

don't put up with shit.

your siblings and mom ever consider a walk out?

dont do squat.

nobody.

let it all rot.

go to have fun and movies, keep cell off...or block his number! :grin:

when you all decided tired and want to go home, got as a group for safety...
    and if he threatens harm verbally call the cops.

let him spend time in jail and think how it will feel to lose his rights to his kids, and better yet humiliation, and HEY if he gets told by a judge to stay in PRISON about a month...he can experience gay sex.

Nuff said.

game over.

4. VyreRain

Well I'd have to say your dad sounds pretty much like my dad ..... lol .... just to give a bit of advice don't tell your dad fu*k you or go fu*k yourself ..... ends up with getting threaten to be beat by a baseball bat. My best words of wisdom are "Do Something make money and Run like hell far away" .. family isn't all that important I don't much care for family they'll treat you worse than strangers will.

5. animequeen567

Thank you for all your replys :slight_smile:

6. photoguy93

What about about mom? Sorry if you mentioned something and I didn't pick it. Can you talk with her?

I am so sorry for you. Truly - this is a really hard thing to go through.

You aren't whiny, lazy, or stupid. He's being the bad one. However, you have to figure out what will work for your family. Your dad seems like someone who is really messed up. I don't mean that he has excuses for his actions, but it seems like there is something else.

I would suggest getting your feelers out there. If you can find a way to just not come home that often, then that's how I would do it. I know that sounds like you are running from the situation, but you have to do what is best for you.

And if he ever truly hurts you (physically) then I would guess that getting someone else involved is the best option. Verbal abuse is just as bad, but the police aren't really going to do much about it. And that's another thing - depending on how people think of him, you might be running an uphill battle with the police.

Just keep posting - we will always be here for you.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a similar father, the up side is you don't have to deal with this. You're an adult and if he doesn't want to treat you with respect then don't deal with him.

Most people are as petty as your dad sounds, don't see the long term. They just know treating other like shit makes them feel good right now, but they need to realize you won't be their punching bag forever. When I moved out it was call me when you get your act together, you're the one getting older. You need to choose if you want to die alone or not.

And he did.

Good luck to you, I hope things get better

8. Given To Fly

My father sounds like yours. I did everything around the house, as well as having to work full time to pay my share of the rent (he got his share paid by social security). By the time I'd paid rent and bought a bus pass, I had £20 a week to get by. No social life. Nothing. The last straw came when I had a bonus holiday payment at work and kept quiet about it - he found out and hit me because I hadn't given him any.

I moved out the next day. Luckily my gf's parents were understanding, and gave me a home.

From that day forward, I never spoke to him again. That was 12 years ago.
    I found out late last year that he died in 2005, of complications arising from lung cancer. I'd decided I would attempt to bury the hatchet and go see him, but it was already way too late.

Not really sure what the point to my story is. I guess it's get out of there if you can, but don't forget he's still your father, and one day you might miss him. I miss mine. Not the man so much, as the fact that he was my father. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

9. animequeen567

I've tried talking to my mom, but she gets treated just as bad as me. I honestly don't know why she hasn't tried to divorce him. She just blocks it out and tells me not to tell anyone how my dad is (which I obviously stopped listening to because I couldn't take it anymore).

I want to move out, but I lost my job and I can't afford to fix my car (doesn't run anymore and it's not the battery). Living at college is perfectly fine with me, but I have to leave on breaks because I have to pay extra to stay on breaks. I rarely come home for weekends, but when I do I tend to go to my first home where I actually feel safe which is my grandparents. I would stay there for break, but I feel like it would hurt my mom's feelings if I did that all the time, and my grandparents are quite poor and I feel guilty because they have to pay for me to eat.

I'm afraid to go to the police because my college parent loan is mostly from my dad because my mom doesn't have a high paying job. I'm afraid that I might not be able to finish college.