1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to two people at once?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Salazar, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Salazar

I'm going with my friend tonight to the cinema, and I was going to come out to him afterwards. Problem is he's just texted me saying another guy is tagging along. I know that this guy who is coming along strongly supports gay rights, blah blah blah, and I suspect that he's at least bi anyway. I don't want to suddenly cancel my plans to come out, but then I'm not sure whether to come out to both of them?

Help?

2. PeteNJ

You trust your one buddy, for sure, since you planned to tell him and he's important to you. Question is, the tag along guy, do you trust him? He's clearly not that important to you, though.

IDK -- I have not come out to my buddies yet. I already know who I'm going to tell first. If I planned to meet my friend to tell him, then he told me someone else is coming -- I don't think I'd be able to tell them both.

Do what feels right.

3. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you know this other guy well? Is he a friend of yours?

4. Salazar

I know the guy quite well. He graduated from my school last year, but I've known him for 6 years. I guess I trust him, but it's more the coming out to two people at the same time thing that worries me.

5. Given To Fly

If you know he's a supporter of gay rights, I'd guess things should work out better in your favour if you decide to come out. I would suggest playing it by ear, and see how it goes. Whatever happens, good luck :slight_smile:

6. jvn95

Since you are worried about coming out to both of them, maybe you could get the other friend isolated somehow? Or if thing boil down to it you could just hang out with the one you trust more alone some other time.

7. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

Oof that is awkward. Since you know the other guy then maybe you can tell him that you have something important to tell your friend. Pull your friend aside and confess.