1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out on facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by unsuspecting, Jan 3, 2013.

1. unsuspecting

Seriously it's my final step, I just want to leap into it with something well written and classy :eusa_danc. The only problem I am facing is, some of my family are on there and they don't know... I don't want to hurt them by not telling them before i made it public. I also don't want to find out if my cousins are homophobic or not because I'm not sure when the next time i'll be visiting is... Should i tell my family first, as in non-immediate family, or post it on facebook to show them that being gay is actually accepting (I'm certain my friends will be posting "WOOT" and "Congrats, no need to be in your cozy closet anymore!")? I'm so lost and afraid I'll lose some of my family that i love and cherish, even though they live 5 hours away.

2. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have you thought of using lists? you can add ppl to those lists and then only post stuff they'll see. i use lists when I wanna use raunchy humor that I don't want my mother to see. its a pretty powerful feature.

3. Sacha

Sacha Guest

Or you could just not come out on Facebook at all...

4. J en

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I suppose you could go four ways about it.. Either:

- Not come out.. Is there any particular reason you want to be out on Facebook? Are you with someone and want to change your relationship status? Unless it means an awful lot to you, or is bothering you, perhaps you could wait a while until you've told your family in person?

- Come out and block the members of your family you'd rather not know about it from seeing it.

- Come out, but not straight away. You could send your family members messages and let them know that you're gay. I don't know how your family works (I know this would seem a little odd in my family, but I also know it's worked for friends of mine) Once it's all settled down then you could out yourself knowing that everyone's sorted.

- Come out and see what happens. It may not go down as well as either of the other options, but if they've got a problem with it they may have the same issues whichever way you go about it.

I know that wasn't particularly helpful.. sorry! Good luck!

5. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think using Facebook is a good idea, especially since people will find it easier to flame you on the internet if they don't agree with your views. It's better to tell your parents first rather than have them find out some other way.

6. unsuspecting

It's only my non-immediate family that doesn't know, my parents (and step-parents for that matter) do know. I was pondering coming out on facebook simply because i find it easier doing that then telling everyone individually. I also want to come out on facebook so i don't necessarily have to just blurt out "I'm gay" before the friendship starts, or further on when i could potentially break the trust they had in me, with it on facebook they would eventually find out.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to one of my family members on facebook. It was on accident though. She didn't care that I came out to her over facebook.

I agree with niqk as well. It does make it easier for people to flame you. You have to be ready for that if you do this.

If you want to come out to your family members in person first, you can block them from seeing the status. This way, you can come out to them later, but still come out to the other people that you have on facebook. The downside to doing this is that you have to make sure that nobody that is close to your family members can see the message.

8. Mhin

It is much better to come out in person. It will just cause a flame when you come out in FB.

9. I agree that Facebook is not a good place to come out. Facebook is a place where people like to mind other people's business instead of their own. I refuse to have a Facebook account because people just use it to spy on other people. Sexuality (in my opinion) is something that would be top of the list of "things that are not anyone else' business." You can do what you want about this, but my advice is to avoid Facebook at all costs.

10. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My 'interested in' has always been blank. I also have it hidden. I've thought that when I was ready I would change it to 'men' but keep it hidden so when you change it, it's not showing up in anyone's newsfeed. Then I'd wait a month or so and THEN change so everyone could see it. It would show up on my timeline after I changed it's 'hidden' privacy setting but it would be buried on my timeline and only people who do a lot of creeping would see it....sadly I know a lot of people who do that LOL!!!

11. Ianthe

I don't know if you need to come out to anyone more before coming out on Facebook. It really depends on how close you are to them. Would they expect you to tell them personally first?

Another thing to consider is to just change your "interested in" status and then start acting like it's common knowledge. You don't really need to make an announcement. People will figure it out. And if you make an announcement, as with when you tell people personally, you sort of invite them to have an opinion on the subject and share it with you.

If you just start living openly as a gay person, for the most part you won't have the dramatic conversations where people think they are entitled to judge how you live. Sometimes, you will notice that someone is "realizing" that you are gay. Their eyes will get all wide, and they will start stammering and trying to get themselves under control so they don't make a scene. Then they will usually succeed, and there will be no scene.

The people to tell personally are the ones that will think they have a right to be in your business anyway--this usually includes at least immediate family and some of your closest friends. You have to judge for yourself if you are close enough to your cousins etc. that they will feel like they have a right to try to talk you out of it without an invitation.

If people who aren't close family or friends start flaming you, just unfriend them. If you think that someone you care about might start flaming you, that would be a good reason to tell that person privately first.

12. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it, I publically changed my interested in and post LGBT+ related stuff now occasionally. No one seems to have caught on... I'm all for that if you want to make a post. Be aware, prepared if you want to, of the possible negative reactions. Other than that, you're cool. Just delete anyone you want to, if they don't accept you. I'm still aware that I'll probably lose family over this eventually. My aunt whom I've always loved and gotten along with so well, we used to write letters to each other, I know she doesn't take it well. She just kind of ignores any of my equality posts, and likes everything else. Doesn't know I am bi yet I guess.

Basically, I come from the south, a hillbilly family. So family is important to us.
    We used to have family reunions on my mother's side. And the family loves each other on my dad's. So I know what you mean, not wanting to lose them. But your happiness is just as important as theirs, so you've done nothing wrong. (*hug*)