1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to older people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Incognito10, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Incognito10

I think it's generally common knowledge and commonly accepted that older people may be less likely to be accepting of gay people. I' am 26 and have always enjoyed a good relationship with my grandmother, who is 81. Not to stereotype, but we know what the social tone was toward gay people back in her younger days. I've been with my partner for almost 4 years and went through a private civil ceremony 2 years ago. My grandmother is still under the assumption that I am some lonely bachelor. I don't like having to lie to people. I feel I should just come out to her so the honest state of my life is out there. I would like to hear from any others who have decided to come out to older loved ones. How do you prepare for that moment of being rejected and banished from someones life (or deal with an awkward and judgemental relationship in the future)?

2. Ianthe

Hello!

Go spend some time with her and bring up gay people. Then you will find out what she thinks of the topic generally. Then you will have a better way to gauge what you should do.

Old people are unpredictable. They have all kinds of life experience you don't even know about. You should not assume anything about what she thinks about gay people--you should find out from her.

If you decide to tell her, let her know that you are telling her because she is important to you and you want to be able to share the important parts of your life with her.

3. Deaf Not Blind

My mom is in 70s and is fine with gays and transgender...that is she said it is more uncomfy to be with an MTF than FTM but she tries. My gramma loved my cousin who was a gay man no matter what, but she didn't get told he was until after he died, which made her mad they forbade him to tell her. She was in 80s at the time I think.

Don't judge a person by their age. Gay has been around forever, and they been through the Great Depression and WWII, I think they can handle it.

4. VyreRain

@ Deaf Not Blind are you mtf or ftm?