1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi in disguise...Anybody up for some psychoanalysis?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pandas, Jan 3, 2013.

1. pandas

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a bi girl and have been dating my boyfriend for nearly a year now.

Recently I got a new job and there are seriously a lot of lesbians at this new place (which is awesome, because previously I didn't really have any lesbian acquaintances). Even one of my managers is a lesbian.

At work I find myself withholding from people that I have a boyfriend and I have NO idea why I do this. I think it is related to the fact that I am bisexual and I'm only out to a few people...and I'm worried that the gay people I meet won't accept me as bi, so I try to avoid my sexuality at all costs (but they probably assume I'm straight). Also there are some girls there I think are pretty cute, so I don't want them to know I have a boyfriend :X

I'm 21 and I just came out a couple of months ago to my boyfriend. He's very supportive. I haven't gotten to have sex with any girls yet because I'm in a serious relationship with my boyfriend. I don't think I can permanently commit to him until I have been intimate with at least one girl.

So I guess it comes down to this...what should I say to my boyfriend about my sexuality? That I still want him but I need to learn more about myself? And what should I do at work...can I tell the people I'm close to that I'm bi? I have only told really close friends, so telling more people feels like coming out all over again and makes me as anxious as it did the first time! I just want to be accepted :frowning2:

2. Jade Ivy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Totally forget being accepted. Just live your life and be kind. Do what you know in your heart is the right thing. Gosh that sounds cheezy.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have accepted that you're bi, but you have a wonderful boyfriend. I could imagine why you'd want to experience being with a woman, but how do you think your boyfriend would react to that? If he asked to be with a man before committing further, would you let him?

Also since it's a workplace, there's really no need to announce your sexuality, but if you feel you need some LGBTQ supporters, then feel free to find a way to incorporate it into a conversation. I'm sure they'd actually be happily surprised to find out you were bi if they thought you were straight. (People like more like minded people!)

I think this definately needs to be addressed to your boyfriend, and only then can you really know where to go from there. :slight_smile:

4. Ianthe

Why do you feel like you need to "be intimate" with a girl before you can commit to your boyfriend? Are you worried that you might really be gay?

Incidentally, coming out is not something you do once and then it's over. You will have to keep coming out to new people forever. So it doesn't just "feel like" coming out all over again--that's what is happening.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had this issue when I was 19; I was attending school however, and for some reason I wanted everyone to know that I was bisexual. So, I typed a lot of research papers about LGBT issues and some of my classmates caught on fairly quickly. I even had an older woman in my class hit on me, but I was not interested at all. I also had a boyfriend at the time and he knew that I was bisexual. He was very accepting, but I discovered that I was indeed gay. I just didn't have that thing for him that I have for women. I thought I could change, so I conformed to society, we had kids, but things did not work out unfortunately.

So, we decided to take a break and oh yeah I was pretty sure that I was gay, but I was in deep denial. Anyway, enough about me...I think you need to talk to your boyfriend about how you feel. It's best to be open and honest, even though that's one thing that I could not do. I could not be honest with myself about how I felt. I didn't want to be labeled "different", but now, I could care less. And as far as work goes, just let it come out naturally. Like, whenever someone mentions their relationship, just be like, "Well, I have a boyfriend, but I'm bisexual and I've always wondered what it's like to be with a girl." I'm not sure how close you are with your coworkers, but less or more is best as you see fit. In my opinion, I think your personal life should not really be discussed in the work place. Perhaps, inviting some of the girls out to lunch could work. That way you get to know them on a different level, but that's just my two cents :slight_smile:

#5 pinklov3ly, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. pandas

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the replies!

I know I need to focus on trying not to mind what others may or may not think about me...it's my weakness.

Also nobody has ever so bluntly said "are you worried that you might really be gay" to me before. Mostly I think of it as "I want to explore my sexuality". I feel like I've always avoided answering that question, Ianthe.

To honestly answer it, though, I think I'd have to say I don't really know. I think part of me worries that maybe I'm supposed to end up with a woman. I don't exactly find sex with a man to be completely satisfying, but my emotional bond with my boyfriend is what keeps us together. We are very close, but we haven't had sex in weeks. I don't know what to make of it all :frowning2:

7. Ianthe

Well, it's just that someone who knows she can be satisfied in a relationship with a man shouldn't have to try sex with a woman in order to make sure of it. So, that means you aren't sure you can be satisfied with a man.

That being the case, I think you should be honest about that with your boyfriend.\. It's really more fair if your boyfriend knows that that's a possibility. Tell him that you think you are bisexual, but you worry that you might really be a lesbian, and you think it's important to know for sure.

Be honest with any women you date as well. Don't date women without telling them about the boyfriend and whatnot. Unfortunately, this might make things difficult.

But if you don't really enjoy sex with men, that could be an indication that you are a lesbian. And that means that both you and your boyfriend would probably be happier in relationships with people who are sexually compatible. He would surely be happier with a girlfriend who likes having sex with him.

I think you should pick one of your lesbian coworkers to come out to. Pick one you are NOT interested in romantically. Tell her everything. Then you will have some emotional support from a real person in your life while you are working through this. (You need someone who isn't as invested in the outcome as your boyfriend is.)

8. IkeaMonkey

There's already a lot of good advice in this thread so I just have 2 questions.

Where do you work? And how can I get a job there?

9. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sex with men has never been satisfying for me either, but I just thought it was my libido. I had to think about women to become sexually aroused and in order to be satisfied. The relationships that I've had with men were short term and very disappointing. But, I had to stop blaming them for my issues. Whatever you do, do not tell your boyfriend that you do not find sex to be satisfying; it's going to completely crush him. Instead, open up to him about possibly exploring the other side of your bisexuality.

10. Josclare

Josclare Guest

il second that lol
    instead of making it a big annoucement could you just make a comment like "she fit" or say something lgbt related like mention a lesbian book or film casually in conversation that way its not a big deal but made obvious that you like women.

11. localfwbguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whoo, I am in the same situation as you accept I'm a guy! Anyway, I really relate to the emotional bond you have with you boyfriend, I have the same intense bond with my girlfriend. But like you, we haven't had sex in weeks. It's not her fault either. Like you, my girl knows I am bi, but I am not sure. As much as I hate to admit it, I may be gay. Also, like you I feel like I need to address the issue while still young. I would love a life with her, marriage, kids, the whole deal but if im indeed gay and gonna struggle with sex then I feel like I should not wed her ughhhhhhgg!!!! Best luck girl :slight_smile:

12. pandas

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I am digging this thread from its grave of a few days ago, but I literally had no alone time to get back on EC, so I'm replying now in case anyone cares to read.

A movie theatre in a college town :slight_smile:

I have always assumed that my libido was the problem. Man I hate the word libido. Anyway, I cannot tell you how many times I have been in missionary position with a guy (not just my bf) practically rolling my eyes in boredom, thinking "how much longer is this going to take?". Also I almost always think about girls during sex to feel aroused.

Thank you for your kind advice. I think I'm going to end up talking to my boyfriend about this soon. I took this semester off school due to anxiety and depression (as a result of being spread really thin in just about every way). I think this time is there perfect time to start figuring things out for myself.

The hardest thing to tell my bf is that I know I'm bisexual but I suspect I may be a lesbian, and that may not even be true. As bad as it sounds, I usually imagine myself breaking up with him and avoiding that conversation altogether or experimenting behind his back. And I know neither of those options are honest.

Luckily a gay girl at work invited me to come to a show that she's playing at this weekend so I am sure there will be coworkers there that I can get to know better.

Also I am looking into getting a therapist for my anxiety issues who ideally also has experience in LGBTQ issues.

I feel exactly the same as you! I could definitely see myself as his wife, but I feel like if I commit to him now I'll never get to fully explore my own sexuality. I have known that I was attracted to women since I was 13. However, I've never been so close to anyone else and I know he is equally (an possibly more) attached to me. It would be a devastating break up if I decided to go that route. What will be will be, I suppose. Best of luck to you too.