1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out on Facebook....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IdontKnowAnyMor, Jan 3, 2013.

1. IdontKnowAnyMor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so here is some back story before you jump to an answer. I have already told my whole family, and my closest friends. so that's not a big deal. The biggest thing that actually worries me, is the fact that i'm in the Army. I'm very close with the people in my platoon. I have been through the best and the worst with them. We have been deployed together, and we all got pretty close. So that aside, I'm just worried it might affect how everyone talks to me within my platoon.

There are 2 people in my platoon right now that know, and they both don't care. Other than the platoon knowing i could really care less who knows. Except for an ex-girlfriend that I was with for a while. I think I should probably tell her personally. I don't know though. I guess I feel as though putting it on Facebook will be the easiest way to tell a majority of people in my platoon, with out going up in front of them all and saying it. I know that if they see it they will definitely ask me about it. I still have a year left in the Army and I really don't want to hold it back much longer. A year is a long time :confused: Any thoughts would help!! Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

2. Ianthe

If you have the support of two people in your platoon and you feel safe doing so, I think it's a good idea to come out, and I think that Facebook is as good a way to do it as any.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in the broadest sense, the Army does fight for the right of Americans to express who they are without persecution. I think the troops are mostly past the whole being creeped out by gays thing. And it seems that "Don't ask; don't tell" was waived off with no small "Good Riddance." :slight_smile: